Oven floor insulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven floor insulation

My oven was built by a mason. The floor is fire birck over 3" mortar slab over corrugated metal. I want to insulate the undersurface which is the ceiling of a closed wood storage area. Any suggestions?
    Joel

Re: Oven floor insulation

I dont think that really is going to do much for you. You want to isolate the firebrick from the slab so that the slab doesn't absorb the heat from your firebrick.

Comment

Jeepiper
      Thanks for the reply.
      I can't do that since the oven is finished. Won't the slab store and release heat?
      I have noticed that when I heat the oven to 900-+ I have to let the floor cool to 750+- Or the bottom of the pizza will burn.
      If I put 8 loaves of bread in at less than 650 the oven temp drops quickly and I don't get the "burn" that provides that special flavor.
      What are your experience?

Comment

Don't hire a mason to build an oven, hire an oven builder. You are pretty much SOL without a rebuild, but all is not lost, just accept it for what it is and learn to maximize what you have.

Comment

Thanks,
          As my experience increases, my results become more consistent.

Comment

If you haven't already, buy an IR thermometer and learn the characteristics of your oven. After a while you won't need it, so buy a cheap one.

Comment

I have one and have had this oven for 2 years. I only seem to learn from my mistakes. It it works by luck, I don't know what is right.

Comment

If my oven had no floor insulation, I would build the fire on a grate and keep the ashes cleaned from the floor during heatup.

Comment

I think I am going to buy ceramic board and instal about 6" under the floor. That should be enough.

Comment

Under the concrete slab is wasting money. If you can raise the firebrick and install a couple of inches BETWEEN the hearth and slab you are golden.

Comment

That would be almost a rebuild and the oven is function well.

Comment

Right, so insulating the slab is a waste of time and money.

Comment

Gudday
                          Insulating the hearth and thereby raising its height will change the ratio between the door height and the height at the top of the oven. Many books quote a definitive measurement of the door height to be 63 per cent of internal height of the oven. This proportion has its origins in a book " bread ovens of Quebec" were this was an average of measurements of many ovens were the door height to oven height could vary from 44 per cent to 87 per cent.
                          So if insulating changes the magic 63 ratio I would not panic as long as it is close to 2/3 of oven height . Yes I have a mate who has a barrel oven with an internal chimney and a door height to oven internal height of ( trust my memory here) about 50 per cent. Yes he flashes it up with the chimney open but after the fire takes well, he caps it off and the oven works better and uses less wood and time till heat up than it does with the chimney uncapped.

Regards Dave
                          The bread ovens of Quebec, National Museums of Canada , Ottawa . Lise Boily & Jean-Francois Blanchette 1979
                          Last edited by cobblerdave; 10-15-2012, 02:52 AM. Reason: spelling (again) fat Fingers and mobil phones!
                          Measure twice
                          Cut once
                          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                          My Door
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
                          X