Moving my new Primavera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving my new Primavera

Just ordered my Primavera70 and am very excited. I have been reading threads about the difficulty in getting the oven from the driveway onto the stand in the backyard.
    Can't see how we are going to slide the oven off the 4x4's and into the proper position on the stand without incident.
    My question is: has anyone put straps under the oven and then connected the straps to a fork lift and lifted it up and placed it into the oven stand? If the straps get stuck under the oven, so be it...I cut them off and they forever stay and provide stability. Any thoughts?

Re: Moving my new Primavera

Originally posted by RReinauer View Post
    Just ordered my Primavera70 and am very excited. I have been reading threads about the difficulty in getting the oven from the driveway onto the stand in the backyard.
    Can't see how we are going to slide the oven off the 4x4's and into the proper position on the stand without incident.
    My question is: has anyone put straps under the oven and then connected the straps to a fork lift and lifted it up and placed it into the oven stand? If the straps get stuck under the oven, so be it...I cut them off and they forever stay and provide stability. Any thoughts?
    I see that the Primavera is a one piece and I thought it was a sectional kit.

I guess someone else will need to comment. but the below technique will work well for other heavy lifting, Sorry.

Straps will work, just make sure they are tight and do not allow the oven section to slip. You can easily put shims under the sections where they will be placed and use a flat bar to slightly raise the sections to remove the shims.

For the strap use one like in the photo and put one end thru the loop of the other end and then use the open loop over the end of the fork for lifting, it will cinch up nice and tight. This is how I moved the 550 pound granite steps.

I know the second drawing is crude but I think it helps explain how the strap should be used.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 10-17-2012, 10:11 AM. Reason: Eddited my original assumption.
    Chip

Comment

Hi
      I hired a crane ($285) to lift my Primavera70 over my house into the back yard in the box. One thing FB does not mention anywhere (at least that I can find) is the inch thick piece of Styrofoam under the oven presumably used for cushion in shipping. It is a nightmare to get out from under the oven.
      Here is how I did it...
      De-box oven - it is now sitting on a "pallet"
      Use a flat pry-bar (the blue ones at Home Depot) with a 2x4 wedge (>) in combination to lift oven up enough to slide a second 2x4 under it 4-6". Repeat this 3 more times.
      Now the oven is sitting on 4 2x4's on their sides. Using the same technique pry up the oven again 4 more times from the 2x4's in place but this time slide 2 2x4's under the oven. Now the oven is sitting approx 3" off the 'pallet' in came on. This is barely enough room to remove the Styrofoam with a longer 2x4 wedged at one end at a 45 with a saw. I did it 4 more times so the oven was 6" off the ground making it easier to get the foam out. see photo. Then I used an engine hoist to lift it into place. Once in place i simply pried the oven up a 1/4 inch and slid the straps out but I didn't use the stand. Check out this site: homepizzeriaovens.com/page/410677018...very helpful

Comment

awesome suggestions. thanks guys. would love to hear more. the styrofoam under the unit will be an issue I will have to deal with.

Comment

Another way is to lower it on to some ice cubes, remove the straps and let the ove settle as the ice melts. If you want you can push some mortar in before the ice melts to get correct level. You just need to make sure that the straps are in exactly the right position
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

See some discussions on the topic here:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f7/p...and-14977.html

To move the oven around on a slab I used a crowbar. The bottom chipped quite a bit. But there was no alternative.

I bought mine from a distributor who lifted the oven on a fork lift after we removed it from the crate. While raised we used a crowbar to scrape away the styrofoam underneath.
            Last edited by Pizza Fermentor; 10-17-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

so the styrofoam may only be an issue with the no-stand version of the primavera like mine...if you get the stand it will come in the metal pan and the straps are easy to remove once it is placed on the stand legs...
              Be really careful prying up the oven. You can see in my picture above that i chipped the edge of the oven trying to get a standard pry-bar under it. Take your time. The ovens are really heavy and I had to use a lot of power to pry it up. watch the fingers. the oven will pop them like zits if it falls on them.

Comment

Appreciate all the comments. Does everyone agree that the Primavera 70 with stand will come without the styrofoam under and with the metal pan attached? That would seem to lighten the load a bit as it would be easy to move with the metal pan already attached and all I have to do is line up the screw holes. Its amazing the whole things is held together with screws!

Comment

one more thing...
                  Don't pretend (even though FB says its possible) that four of your friends can lift a Primavera70. Unless they play for the NFL. Safely it would take 8 people and that has them lifting close to 100lbs a piece; which is still a lot to lift and move around with. Definitely use an engine hoist. They are still pretty precarious but only require 3 people to handle.
                  Do not mess around with trying something cause it seems fast or easy. There is nothing easy about lifting 800lbs safely.

Comment

Originally posted by RReinauer View Post
                    Appreciate all the comments. Does everyone agree that the Primavera 70 with stand will come without the styrofoam under and with the metal pan attached? That would seem to lighten the load a bit as it would be easy to move with the metal pan already attached and all I have to do is line up the screw holes. Its amazing the whole things is held together with screws!
                    Yes....I thought the same thing as I bolted in the four bolts to the stand....but it hasn't fallen yet! The styro in my case just fell out to be honest, no an issue with the stand version given the ring.

And I 100% agree on the last post on moving it....I was told same thing, 4 people, NO WAY. I used an engine lift for the final placement, that worked perfectly. Four people can't hold this thing steady, be lucky to lift it.

Comment

Working...
                    X