Rustic Primitive Materials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

There are several ways to do it. Are you building round or barrel?

Comment

Originally posted by Annie M.

.... also people are always dropping off big fresh salmon...nice to slow roast....

Me thinks that I was born in the wrong part of the U.S. of A.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
        Me thinks that I was born in the wrong part of the U.S. of A.
        Hi Gulf,

You don't have to live, where you were born, otherwise earth wouldn't be as quirky as it is. "Go West Young Man" or is it Old -art?

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
          Hi Gulf,

You don't have to live, where you were born, otherwise earth wouldn't be as quirky as it is. "Go West Young Man" or is it Old -art?
          Young Fart,
          I'm to dmn old to move . It is kind of like this with many of the "old farts" from my neck of the woods. If you ask one of us "have you lived there all of your life"? Most of us would answer, "Well,........ not yet"
          Last edited by Gulf; 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM. Reason: punctuation
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Hehehhehehhehe. Another answer would be, "up to now, or give me time". I think I'm older than you, in years on earth, otherwise you've got it right! Can you send me a load of crawdaddies, I'm hankering for something good.

Comment

Sorry Annie M. for the hijack,

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
              Hehehhehehhehe. Another answer would be, "up to now, or give me time". I think I'm older than you, in years on earth, otherwise you've got it right! Can you send me a load of crawdaddies, I'm hankering for something good.
              You may be older than me. I could not find your age on your "about me" stats. But, if you are, then you can claim the staus of "older than dirt"

I would love to send you some "mud bugs". However, we purge, and "boil" them alive. That usually means eating them the same day or at least the next as they have been caught. Given the distance I don't think that you would like a crawfish with a belly full of swamp mud. But, I think that there is the possibilty of crawfish tails or maybe a few servings of crawfish etouffee (et tu fe). These could be sent frozen. I think that a trade could be worked out for something good from your area. But, please! none of that poison sushi stuff
              Last edited by Gulf; 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Man, you have got some nerves! A person who loves swamp cockroaches, calls sushi poison, WTF! Its alright, what would you like to have from the Land of the Rising Sun and Laurentius? I really think you should travel four you die, boy. Go to "Hot lanta", I'm from Athens and I know your parts well! By the way, I'm older than, air. Annie, I apologize too.

Comment

Hi Annie,

This is a question for Brickie or Dave. For some reason, I think (Squares), are not recommended, but I maybe wrong.

Comment

I have been told (but have no practical experience) that vault shaped ovens draw air better if they are longer than they are wide. I honestly don't know why this would be in light of the fact that pompeii styles draw perfectly well, yet they are not longer than wide. So maybe someone with some hands on experience can chime in.

The proportion between door height and vault interior is 63%...but I think you can get away with a few percentage points (say five) on either side of that and still do fine.

If you are doing a vault, I'd take a look at Tscarbouroughs build. He offset his door to one side a bit to allow a more defined area for the fire, with a straighter shot to the cooking area. I don't know that it's a huge big deal, but I copied his idea and really like it. The pic below shows it on my build.

BTW, gotta love the roasted salmon. I go to Alaska every year and come back with a ton of reds, kings (Chinnook), and silvers (coho). Good stuff. (Edit: By "ton" I mean a lot. Not an actual ton. :-) )
                    Last edited by WJW; 03-03-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Re: Rustic Primitive Materials

Square shouldn't be a problem, my next one will be so.

Comment

Lots of kilns use a cube form. The big advantage is easier loading because the sides are straight. The downside is poorer heat circulation (cool spots) and you need a way to support the roof. One way that is simple and works well is to drill holes through the bricks and insert steel rods with threads and nuts on the end. I built a top loading kiln like this once. The removable roof was the lid.
                        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude
                          Hey Annie,

I don't want to start a big debate about using a soldier course or not!!!
                          I believe that half bricks laid on there flats (in this application) are stonger because they bond opposed to full bricks standing on there ends.
                          Half bricks are equal in size so it is easier to keep the vertical joins from lining up, if you go from a 2.5'' brick face (soldier course) to a 4.5'' brick face (half brick on its flat)somewhere the joins will line up as you go around the course it is hard to stop this from happening and you end up with vertical joins lining up, and may cause cracking.

There is a reason why the sky is blue but it is very long winded!!!
                          I brought up the structural unsoundness of a soldier course in another thread somewhere. In the absence of any support for laying the bricks like that, I think the discussion determined that although it may give you extra room on the side it is still structurally unsound an d if you want the extra height then the bricks should be laid flat there.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi Annie,

I hope that all is well. Checking to see if you received my PM, is so please reply, that way I can pass it on to someone else if you don't want it. How is your oven coming along?

Comment

• Re: The Gap

Question... Can I just use a 'wedge' of mortar for this area... or is it better to mix the mortar with small brick chunks?? I think these are my only options I tried splitting to fit and that was.... well let's just say it didn't work!! I can easily make the 'chunky peanut butter'.
                              You need to cut the top bricks back if at all possible.

The home brew mortar is great... I used my own sand and my own clay and it sets up beautifully, absolutely solid... and I found there is nothing more precise than the human hand for applying it to the bricks (never got around to getting a trowel)
                              Hope you have a spare set of hands, youre going to need them.
                              Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-27-2013, 02:28 PM.
                              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Your photo is what I wish I could do but cannot... no saw. All I have is a hammer & chisel. I just was hoping I could use mortar & brick chunks... I thought the permacrete insulation layer would help buttress the whole thing up and cover all the experiments (mistakes actually).
                                Are you going to build an enclosure around the oven if so loose pearllite will be better.

No saw, stick chunks of bricks in the large joint at the back, mortar alone wont do.
                                Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-27-2013, 02:56 PM.
                                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
                                X