Foundation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foundation Question

I'm excited to be planning construction of my first WFO.
    All the plans I have reviewed call for a 5-1/2" thick concrete slab as a foundation. Will this be sufficient if my oven design calls for a brick housing for the oven as well as the brick base? Does it matter that I live in the Chicago area and have some colder winters? My brick supplier is recommending six concrete piers 36" deep to support my foundation slab. (seems like overkill to me).

Thanks,
    Giuseppe
    Thanks,
    Giuseppe
    pizza,pizza!

Re: Foundation Question

Originally posted by I am Giuseppe View Post
    I'm excited to be planning construction of my first WFO.
    All the plans I have reviewed call for a 5-1/2" thick concrete slab as a foundation. Will this be sufficient if my oven design calls for a brick housing for the oven as well as the brick base? Does it matter that I live in the Chicago area and have some colder winters? My brick supplier is recommending six concrete piers 36" deep to support my foundation slab. (seems like overkill to me).

Thanks,
    Giuseppe
    If the oven is independent from other structures and is a normal sized oven (less than 10 X 10 ft) then a floating slab, (No piers) will be fine, Use REbar and Wire in the slab and if the slab moves a little the whole oven will move a little, no big deal.

Put 6 inches of paver base - (class 2 or 5) and 2 inches of sand then the concrete slab and it will float nicely.

It gets colder in Minneapolis

Chip
    Chip

Comment

Re: Foundation Question

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post

It gets colder in Minneapolis
      Sounds like fighten words

Seriously, I don't know how anyone can live in either place. We get cold and snow but no where the level you do. I heard that in the city of Chicago (down town), the trucks melt the snow and vacume it up because there is no place to put it - is that true?
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Working...
      X