Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

Hi Guys,

I'm building a new WFO and wondering what people think about using the pre-made refractory cement (that runs ~$50/bag) versus using regular cement and mixing in the fireclay? Is it worth investing in the more expensive pre-made stuff?

Thanks!
    Liz )

Re: Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

It depends on how much your money is worth to you. I really wanted to use heatstop but it was way too expensive. I found another premixed refractory mortar for half the price but it was a fairly long drive away.

I bought all of the materials for the homebrew right here, it was by far the cheapest, and it worked great. Although I can not tell you if it is any better or worse than any of the premixed mortars because I have never used them.

Plenty of people on here are glad they used the homebrew, me included, and some really liked the heatstop. I think you will be good either way.

If I was doing it over I would probably use the homebrew again.

David
    "Leave the gun. Take the cannoli." - Peter Clemenza

Comment

Re: Refractory cement: pre-mix or not?

Okay, thanks a lot, David! I think I will try the homebrew mix because I am also going to cut wedges to fill the angled gaps so there will actually be very little cement fill used. I think this will help with any cracking.

Comment

Working...
      X