Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Groin vault base for a hearth. Is it possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Groin vault base for a hearth. Is it possible?

I'm still in the early design phase of my oven and have looked at thousands of photos. It's just my aesthetic taste but I feel that many of the ovens I've seen appear squat and heavy. (I know, they really are heavy) so I was wondering if it would be possible to make it appear lighter by incorporating a groin vault, two intersecting barrel vaults, in the hearth. Essentially, it would appear to stand on four legs. A google search turns up nothing. Has anyone attempted this? Is it even possible on that scale or am I dreaming?
    I'm no mason, so I know the extreme difficulty of doing what I'm thinking but I'm just curious if it can be done. Would you do it in brick? what about pouring it in that shape? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Re: Groin vault base for a hearth. Is it possible?

1. Yes, it's possible.
    2. No, I don't know how to build it. Gut reaction is that your vault will be pretty massive because the top of the vault could be upwards of five feet across.
    3. You could do it with brick. One of the largest domes in the world is nothing but brick. If you could make a form for it, you could just pour concrete with rebar.

It's an interesting design idea. Good luck with it.

Comment

Working...
    X