Oven weights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven weights?

Anyone know the approximate weight of a 44" dome made of fire brick? I have an existing slab but seems to be +/- 5" in some areas. I know for a fact that it is reinforced with #4 rebar. It is an elevated slab. Thanks.

Re: Oven weights?

Around 2500# +/-, the footprint weight is a couple hunderd PSI.

Comment

Mine is just under a ga-jilliion pounds..

Comment

No I misspoke, the footprint weight is less than 5 PSI.

Comment

I hope so, since mine sits on 30 year old 36"x36"x2" wire reinforced slabs (cut to fit).

Comment

wotavidone: I think a lot depends on the stability of your ground. If you live in an area that ground freezes, you will need more of a slab. My slab is 4 inches, but I have two 1-foot wide footers on each side that go down 3 feet. It wasnt my design, it was the permit-guy at the zoning office. It was 2.5 full cubic yards of concrete.

Comment

I was talking about the slab the OVEN sits on, not the slab the STAND sits on. The slab for the stand needs to be more substantial and conform to local codes in regards to climatic conditions, just as the stand itself has to conform to codes and seismic conditions.

Comment

My patio is a poured suspended slab over a walk-out basement/workshop. I'm not sure of the perimeter footing but it appears to be done to code since there is no evidence of the patio slab shifting or cracking in 54 year. The slab is a little thin as it gets further from the house (starts out at 5" and then narrows to 3" at the perimeter). I was thinking of maybe pouring 3 footings along the perimeter corner and using steel to cantilever the load (or most of the load) above the slab. In essence the slab will still be built upon but will only be receiving about a 10-15% of the load. Another approach would be to cut the basement slab and pour 2 footings for a post and beam support directly under the oven. Maybe these options are over-kill but I haven't dug around the existing footings to see what is there. Any suggestions would help. Thanks.
                Last edited by scm1; 12-04-2012, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X