Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new build with 36" stainless skin

The build has started!
    I'm building the oven for my friends to cook their breads, and I'll cook pizza in it too. So I'm soliciting modifications that you can hopefully offer to me.
    Thanks to all who've emailed with ideas, very helpful. Now it's time to get dirty and there are more questions.
    I typically pour concrete with expansion groves, but wondering if I can cast the pizza cook surface at 36" square just dead smooth. Good idea or bad? I plan on 2" thick of castable refractory into a 20 guage stainless circumfrence, welded to a stailless base. Do I need to plan a 1/4" gap around that to account for espansion as it heats?
    It gets to -15 farenheit here in the winter, in case you were wondering.
    thanks for your input and more pics coming!
    Here's a pic of the eventual outer skin, at 36" square.
    Mel
    Last edited by candiamel; 12-25-2012, 10:21 AM.

Re: new build with 36" stainless skin

Working on the base, 1.25" stainless square tubing, will build to be comfortable for a short(er) lady as well, so keeping the cooking surface low. Frame to be covered with 16 ga stainless.
    Don't bother laughing at my drawing, quick drawings only for the moment.
    I'm also looking at build of legs from sheet stock, which would allow great load area.
    Stay tuned.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by candiamel; 12-17-2012, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Large cast pieces of refractory are inclined to crack because of uneven heating. If you are casting a floor it is highly likely to crack so it would be advisable to engineer some joins. It is not absolutely necessary, you could just let it crack where it wants to, it's not going anywhere. The same applies to the dome. In particular the crown gets way hotter and way faster so the positioning of these joins should take this into consideration. If you plan to cast directly onto the stainless then you will have problems in expelling the water from the castable.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Legs for pan, will complete before we cast the base. This will ensure that the legs mate perfectly to the base attachment points. But this continues to evelove as we look at forming the legs from 16 GA sheet.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by candiamel View Post
          Working on the base, 1.25" stainless square tubing, will build to be comfortable for a short(er) lady as well, so keeping the cooking surface low. Frame to be covered with 16 ga stainless.
          Don't bother laughing at my drawing, quick drawings only for the moment.
          I'm also looking at build of legs from sheet stock, which would allow great load area.
          Stay tuned.
          Your angle bracing seems a little short the 45 degree bracing should be much longer.

You indicated the legs would be much larger in comparison to the bracing and I agree the Legs must be much more stout. I would also add midpoint spreader front to back and not just side to side, I would probably join the angle bracing near or at the lower cross bracing.

I would also add Pads at the bottom to allow you to bolt the frame into the slab. Insert threaded concrete anchors into the slab where yor feet will land and bolt to slab.

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Working...
          X