Rocket pot oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rocket pot oven

Some way of baffelling the exhaust to heat up the dome (barrel) would be a way of making a rocket stove pizza oven.
    The cooking should come from radiated heat all the way round the food
    Last edited by TropicalCoasting; 01-01-2013, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Most WFO's have a floor with high thermal mass that is well insulated. Your set up has a thin floor and is uninsulated. Because of this you will probably need to keep some fire going constantly in the rocket stove or cool air will be sucked in and cool the floor from the bottom. You may be able to prevent this partially by blocking off the inlet at the rocket stove, but the low thermal mass from your thin floor will mean it will cool down pretty fast. Regarding your dome I think it is way too high for its diameter. If it were mine I'd be cutting it off at the bottom about where that thicker flange is. I don't think that the rocket stove will be sufficient to heat the dome to the required temp and you will also need to create a fire above the floor. It seems from your pics that you are already trying this. Beware that heating an uninsulated pot with fire is likely to create cracking because of the temp differential between the inside and outside of the pot.nyou can prevent this by insulating the pot with 4" vermicrete.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

PsychDoc,
        First off, 'tweren't me who commented on your yard. This is basically a benevolent forum and there are members of every ilk, our common interest being WFO's and what can be made in/with them. Haters, flamers, Trolls and such like are rare here. Online every thing we post lives on long past us, I try to keep this in mind when posting and it seems most members are of similar mind.

As for posting multiple photos: You have the window that opened when you selected and clicked on "Manage Attachments" after uploading the first simply click on "browse" again and you will be able to select another file from your computer. I think the limit is five but haven't pushed it that far in a while.

As for size of opening: it would seem to me at a minimum you would need the thickness of the pizza with enough room to see how far along it is in baking. You are in uncharted territory with your oven; in most WFOs the opening is controlled by the opening/ interior dome height ratio/relationship. I would suggest starting with as small as would seem reasonable with the parameters I mentioned as you can always increase the size of the hole... harder to make it smaller. The inside will be dark as you do not have the benefit of a fire by which to observe the pizza. This may be a serious problem especially if you are planning on making pizzas after sundown. At the end of a pizza session I usually have extra pizza skins with which I make calzones. I usually let the fire go out and work using the coals as I don't need as much heat. I use a small flex head LED lamp made for working on a grill. Got mine at Walmart for less than $20. You could probably use a flashlight but that occupies a hand or maybe a head lamp?

Hope this helps,
        Wiley

Comment

I am sitting here enjoying a fine homebrew. One of my better Imperial Stout's I might add. The mortar question is absolutely something I've learned throughout this process fortunately I'm doing it small-scale so I don't screw up a really big oven. My beautiful bride is inside making dough right now and we will throw it on the stone see what happens. It seems that my awesomeness is only surpassed by my humility.

Comment

Rocket ovens are pretty efficient, but even with that efficiency they do not put enough raw BTU's into play to make it for heating the mass of a Neapolitan oven to the required temps. If Neapolitan is not your goal, then you need to have a discrete (isolated) mass gauged to your desired use that is heavily insulated. That is well within the realm of a rocket oven, but not 800-1000 degrees sustainable.

Comment

Regarding your opening, stick to the 63% rule approximately for door height. My oven is 540 mm (21") internal diam. and has a 400mm x 160 mm opening.
              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

When it comes to thermal efficiency the door is an ovens biggest weakness. I personally would not adhere to a 63% ratio for an oven of your style due to the different airflow patter. The smallest door that will serve it's function should be the best one in your situation.

Comment

So far so good.

Comment

I'll say, it's not siding off the board. Neither is the glass of wine for that matter
                    Check out my pictures here:
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Jolie blonde~

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                        Jolie blonde~
                        What does that mean?

It's a Pinot Nero

Comment

It means the crust was white.

Comment

Well done, looks like yr cooking! Wil try putting a rocket in my wfo but it wil mostly for pre heatingand maybe keeping the temp up while doing a roast, my oven wil be a proper brick one so for sure wil not get enough heat from rocket alone but i stil believe by keeping the door closed and have the rocketstove chimne inside the floor it can be used to keep the big fire fire burning on the oven floor to keep more heat inside and not waste to much wood.

Comment

Here's another interesting one
                              I assume he has the chimney come inside the dome and exhaust out of the door as well as having the pipe heat up under the floor.
                              Starting to get some thermal mass less heat loss etc
                              Build Your Own Earth Oven ? FreestyleFarm

Comment

It means that Nero was drinking vino, while playing his Lute.

Comment

Working...
                                X