reuse fire brick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reuse fire brick?

I have about 75 fire brick that were left over from a brewery demolition. I have no idea what 'quality' or 'Specification' they might be. Is there any way to determine if they would be OK to incorporate into a Pizza oven build?
    I wouldn't mind cutting costs, but wouldn't want to do a whole build to find a that the bricks were not the right type to use.

Re: reuse fire brick?

What did the brewery use them for? Basic red clay should work, others have used them. If the brewery used them in a furnace or heater of some sort I would think they are fine.

Comment

You can use them, now go out and buy another 125 or so and start your build. Don't fret the little stuff. The year is at a trot, now catch up.

Comment

thanks for the input.
        I am pretty sure they are medium duty fire brick.. cream colored,hard and sharp edged about 2'x4'x9' and about 6 lb each. I'm thinking that I will use them in the dome of the oven and use firebrick from a known source for the oven floor.
        Still in the planning stages-I'm In Philadelphia, PA, USA so it's too cold to pour a foundation- but come spring I'll have concrete delivered to do my sidewalks and garage floor so a pad for the oven is a small bit extra.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychDoc View Post
          What did the brewery use them for? Basic red clay should work, others have used them. If the brewery used them in a furnace or heater of some sort I would think they are fine.
          to the best of my knowledge they were used to contain the heat for the boil kettle

Comment

"Contain" the heat? If they are relatively light weight they could be insulating brick and would not be suitable. Otherwise, probably just fine.

So here is another question. What would be the result if you use two distinctly different brick types? Say, red clay for the first 4-5 courses and firebrick for the remaining dome.

Comment

I don't think they are insulating brick. My Mom was china painter and had kilns.. the brick was light and porous- not like these that are dense and heavy.
              In the scope of the project I wouldn't want to experiment with a brick that might not be correct for the application. I think these bricks might be the right type of fire brick, but would hedge my bet by using them in a less critical area of the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by PsychDoc View Post
                "Contain" the heat?
                Firebricks would contain the heat that is slowly released, the insulation retains the heat.

Contain, retain.....lets call the whole thing off...........
                Last edited by brickie in oz; 01-08-2013, 11:54 PM.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Not to be a pain in the brain but I could not refrain to explain, that firebrick would obtain, insulation disdains, allow the oven to retain the heat it contains, thereby permitting sustained cooking.

Does truffula tree make good fuel?

MC Roger

Comment

Psychdoc & AL,

I hope you two hurry up and become friends, otherwise, let the head banging began! May the Force be with You(two).

Comment

I thought we were friends?!? Does this mean we're not?
                      Say it ain't so!

In my little time on this forum I have learned enough to "understand" and respect Al.

Unless I'm wrong, that could possible too.

Comment

No, you are fellow forum members, we must request friends, I have one and its Al. Al is easily understood and he's well respected, but Al loves word-play and barbs he quick of wit, a lovable guy, a straight shooter, a jokester and jester and when you leave yourself open, he will pounce, only in the context of humor or dumbfounded (WTF). He takes as well as he gives. So enjoy the forum, its an informative and fun place. Give Al, Hell before he gives it to you! (In a fun way)

Comment

Will do
                          But don't tell him, it will be our secret.

Comment

Don't tell, Who, What?????

Comment

I found a bunch of angled 12" fire brick at my grandpa's junk yard. They're not used, but probably pretty old.(20-30 years?) Any risk that they're filled with asbestos? I'd need to cut them. What do you all think?

Comment

Working...
                              X