Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any reviews for Fozmex kitset ? (New Zealand)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any reviews for Fozmex kitset ? (New Zealand)

Does anyone in New Zealand (or other places) have any comments or feedback on the kits offered by Fozmex / Dec Wood Fire Pizza Ovens ? They certainly aren't super heavy weight oven but the price is great with thwe whole kkit being less than just the bricks to build a Pompeii. I'm thinking their blend of insulating bricks & heat retaining floor tiles will be adequate for typical domestic home use. It won't be capable of really long next day cooking but should be enough for soem slow cooking after pizzas?

Trade Me - Listings from fozmex

Re: Any reviews for Fozmex kitset ? (New Zealand)

Pyrolite

Comment

info from Trademe

Contains all the materials for building a traditional, high efficiency,wood fired oven (excluding the block base)

This is the ideal purchase option for Auckland Metro customers where all materials are included, as delivery costs are a flat rate.

## A GREAT PRODUCT AT A GREAT PRICE ##
      (Please Inspect At Our Factory)

We have taken the design from The Shed Mag & added our own developments & modifications (incorporating our own materials), to offer a high-efficiency pizza oven kitset, at a factory price within the reach of every DIY'er (plans supplied)

THESE OVENS ARE VERY EASY TO BUILD AND ARE PROVING VERY POPULAR!!

CHECK THESE FEATURES!
      -Easy & quick to build.
      -Footprint of oven already drawn out on hearth tiles. You just follow the lines!
      -Traditional, proven design that delivers optimal, combustion efficiency.
      -Large cooking area sufficient for 3-4 pizzas(diam 840mm)
      -Unique fire bricks rapidly elevate oven temps(0-485C in 30mins),meaning you're ready to cook faster with less fuel vs ovens of traditional,clay brick construction.
      -The cooking tile (stone) is a novel feature. It retains intense heat & is surrounded by insulation tiles; a combo that delivers more versatility in cooking various food items
      - 1 pc hearth makes oven construction so very easy and simple
      - Pre-cut bricks for dome & arch construction
      - Arch templates
      - Stainless steel flue

Delivery cost Auckland Metro $100. Pallet size:1400x 1400 x 700 mm(height) 750Kgs
      Seller Comment: Hearth 1360 x 1360 x 75mm (x1) Fire bricks 230 x 115 x 75 (x 69pcs-pre cut) Fire Slabs (insulation layer) 270 x 270 x 40 (x 25pcs) Fire Slabs (top layer)270 x 270 x 40(x 16pcs)Fire Slabs 270 x 135 (x4pcs) Cooking tile 540 x 270 x 40mm(x 2pcs) Front tiles (charcoal) 270 x 270 x 40mm(x 5pcs) Mortar 30 Kg Bags (x3) Cement 40Kg bag (x1) Fire Mix (500ml tubs)(x4) Dome Insulation (20 litre bags x6) Foil (X1) Arch Template Set(x1) Flue Tiles(x2) Flue Stainless Steel (x2pc) CD Construction Tutorial (1)

Comment

Thanks. It possible to learn quite a bit more about them by looking at previous auctions via their selling feedback on Trademe. I thought the idea of mixing insulating and heat retaining bricks or pavers was good as should result in fast heat up. While mass storage is good I doubt we'd use it as much if it's always 1.5hrs before start cooking

Re height ratio it's should be easy enough to tweak it to ideal proportions during the build.

Seems they sometimes sell the bricks by themselves and at $2.50 ea so about 1/2 the price of the Hunty or Canturbury Clay Pavers brick at about $5 each.

Comment

These bricks have no thermal mass as they are insulators and no good for a pizza ovens interior.

In addition, there have been some recent studies allegedly linking heated alumina to the production of carcinogenic substances, which may contaminate food substances.
          Bollocks.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Started coming back on here after a break after deciding to finally separate $ from wallet. I have seen a lot of the ovens in NZ and decided on one of the following: www.facebook.com/FueraOvens

It is a very well made product, great guy making them (he pent 3 hours on Boxing Day with me) - and are very reasonably priced - coud be worth giving him a call.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
              Looking at the picture and re-reading the blurb it appears that only the centre square of the top layer is cooking surface. Are all those tiles around the outside of the top layer insulating bricks?
              If so, that's a bit wrong. All of the top layer that is exposed to the fire should be ordinary bricks in my opinion. I'd consider buying the kit and adding a few more fire bricks to make sure the entire floor is thermal mass.
              Yes, via closed trademe auctions I found this photo. Appears like only the centre area is heat retaining. I've zero expereince with WFO but have read a lot on FB about merits of huge thermal mass. Seems like great idea but I'm also concerned about how long and how much wood would be required to get a bulk mass WFO up to heat. If it takes a long time or lot of wood we simply won't use it much. Would be restricted to weekends or significant social gatherings, hence interest in this design. A lot cheaper than others too. Admittedly I'd need to build it but it's 1/3 the cost of Fuera FUERA Wood-Fired Pizza Oven (Medium) | Trade Me.

Comment

The cooking tile area is 540x540x40 & the internal dome is 840dia. The cooking tile is surrounded by 40thk insulating fire slabs then a full layer on 40thk insulating fire slabs under that.

Expanding on wotavidone’s comment re adding more mass, would it be better to increase the surface area of the cooking tile to cover more of the floor, or to double it’s thickness to 80mm ?
                i.e. more area via replacing some of the insulating fire slabs with more cooking tile, or simply double the mass by adding another layer

Comment

Maybe I could improve the design at relatively low cost by installing the bottom full insulating layer as per plan, then the second layer of central cooking tile and outer insulating as per plan, then add an extra third layer with cooking tile over whole (or almost whole) of the dome floor area. Thoughts ?

I've asked the seller what the heat loss vs time is. Waiting on his response. Unfortunately not a local business, it's a flight away :-(

Comment

Originally posted by uk_exile View Post
                    I've asked the seller what the heat loss vs time is. Waiting on his response. Unfortunately not a local business, it's a flight away :-(
                    If you do not get replies - feel free to PM me - they are not that far away from me - say 30 mins (and assuming they are open weekends) - I am more than happy to drive out, take pics and ask him anything you need.

Comment

Originally posted by Tank View Post
                      If you do not get replies - feel free to PM me - they are not that far away from me - say 30 mins (and assuming they are open weekends) - I am more than happy to drive out, take pics and ask him anything you need.
                      Thanks for the very kind offer. I'm hopeful there's no need to take you up on it. I've emailed a list of questions & if I get nothing back in next few days I'll give him a call.
                      Did you know there used to be a Fornobravo NZ. Long since gone it seems.

Comment

Did you know there used to be a Fornobravo NZ. Long since gone it seems.
                        I did, and yes - I believe long gone. I guess it's a hard business to import heavy bulky items and sell them on a smallish margin, with a limited market.

Pity - I like to see businesses succeed, and it was a good offering for the NZ market.

Comment

The cooking tile area is 540x540x40
                          I wouldnt think it would have the thermal mass to cook one pizza.

Or do you cook one pizza wait then 1 hour for the tile to recharge with more fire then cook another pizza?
                          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                            I wouldnt think it would have the thermal mass to cook one pizza.

Or do you cook one pizza wait then 1 hour for the tile to recharge with more fire then cook another pizza?
                            It says 0 to 485 DegC in 30mins so I assume it would take a few minutes at most to recharge. Correct ?
                            I'm thinking while performance may not be 100% optimal compared to a Pompeii but it's got to be better than alternative in similar price range which are pretty much hooded BBQs wood fired rather than gas.
                            My only real query now is if to add another layer of cooking tile (as discussed in http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/t...tml#post143744) . Really confused & obviously don't want to get it wrong !

Comment

I would be concerned about wear on the insulating fB more than anything, they are very soft.

Comment

Working...
                              X