Oven next to roof? Draft issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven next to roof? Draft issues?

Ok so the architect in my gets anal quickly about following protocol for chimney heights and clearances...

But, given my very small back yard I'm limited on space for an oven. The wife and I (meaning me) are going to try and build a 36" corner build this coming summer. The first choice location in the back yard is adjacent to the garage. My concern is the roof sloping down toward the oven limited the draft of the oven.

Has anyone built an oven at the eve edge of a roof? I've seen several where the stack vented above the roofline but none with a roof close by.

Images below with the dog is where the oven will be (back along the right side of the garage.)
    Garage image should give you an idea of the roof scenario.

Re: Oven next to roof? Draft issues?

The requirements for chimney height and distance are pretty well established. Check local code.

Comment

In addition to vent issues - our code requires the oven to be 10 feet away from anything combustible ( house, fence, out buildings, etc...) as mentioned, check the local code...
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

National code is 3' above the roof peak or 10' on the horizontal from the top of the chimney to roof regardless of roofing material. Local codes can be stricter but not less. So you need to check with your local officials and get it from the horses mouth. You should not have any drafting issues with that location. I'm sure that the code book does not address WFO but if you can build them inside then there is no reason that you can't build it on the outside wall...Once again check with your local officials and they will give you the required clearances.

Cute dog!!! he's looking forward to them pizza bones. (I don't understand the people that don't eat the crust)

Comment

Originally posted by Faith In Virginia View Post

Cute dog!!!
          Never mind the dog, what about some pics of your pick up?
          Here's mine.
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Here's mine. And mine is bigger then yours.

Comment

Whaooooa, cool.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Sorry but I had a laugh, a truck that size and you still had to add hungry sides so you could fit more in....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Outside of code... I'll meet with the local guy but he is pretty lenient. If you can build the oven indoors or under a combustible canopy no reason you couldn't build it adjacent to a structure. If I had to follow the 10' / 2' rule then it makes the chimney really tall on a little oven.

I'm just trying to prep myself for the conversation and want to be able to feel confident that if I did get around it, that the oven would draft and not have issues with wind coming off the roof backfeeding the oven.... I've seen a few on here with really short chimneys, but I don't think they were next to anything.

Then there is always the try it and see method.. Could always build it taller if I had to.

Truck isn't anything to show off, just your average 12 yr old 190k chevy. Just got the new worn off.

Comment

Thinking your on the right track. My bet is that the building official will make you do the height requirement if he feels he has the authority to do so. If not he will strongly recommend that you do. I would agree with that being so close to a building.

Keep in mind building officials is a low paying high pressure government job. Apparently they get sued a lot. If they inspect and approve something and it fails or burns down people hold them responsible. So every problem people have with their contractors the building officials get caught up in the mess.

Comment

What's that tree behind the fence? Is that yours, or the neighbors? I think it might be a bigger problem than the garage. AFAIK, you can't build an oven under a tree canopy - no matter how high you put the chimney.
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Neighbor's tree... This thread is starting to look like "How can LKJR start a fire with an oven" thread.

Tree canopy is actually pretty high, oven will have a spark arrestor on chimney. Location 3 in my mind is probably the best choice but not convenient.

But then again if the tree and garage both happen to burn down, I have lots of good options...

I'll try and get some of this modeled up this weekend and post pictures of the 3 location options.

Comment

Working...
                        X