• Show
Clear All

• james
    replied
    Re: Le Panyol construction and Stability

Here is the standard FB position.
    James

Why You Should Not Use a Gas-Fired Oven at Home
    We do not recommend gas fired ovens for homeowners for three reasons. First, there are some serious safety issues. Pizza ovens are small and enclosed, and even a small leak can leave enough gas in an oven to be unsafe and capable of exploding. Our commercial gas-fired ovens have very sophisticated burners, controls and shut-offs that minimize risk, and they cost $4,000 by themselves. The scope of the safety problem is very large, with the possibility of a life-threatening explosion.

Second, commercial gas-fired ovens are operated in a commercial setting by professionals. We have concerns about a potentially dangerous gas-fired oven being operated by friends, neighbors or even children. Even if a problem were to never occur, the stress of worrying about oven safety would detract from the enjoyment of owning a pizza oven.

Third, a gas fire has less potential energy than a wood fire, so gas-fired ovens take a long time to heat up from scratch. Gas does a good job of holding a commercial oven at cooking temperature because those ovens never fully cool down. Still, it can take hours for a gas burner to heat up an oven from a cold start -- which is what homeowners do with their ovens. The Forno Bravo wood-fired ovens heat up in about 45 minutes, which is why they are so popular.

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Thanks for that link Mark. Just as a side note, the gentleman to whom that was addressed was building an oven in a commercial bakery, in a desert country without much in the way of firewood.

In a reply, Cajunknight put his finger on the key question for those looking for gas ovens:

Or you could leave out the hassle and find a blodgett on ebay at a fairly reasonable price.
    I stand by my statement about backyard gas ovens. If you can get firewood, why would you want one?

Leave a comment:

• ThisOldGarageNJ
    replied

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oven-4393.html heres an interesting post regarding this discussion...

Cheers
    Mark

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Hi, Big Steve, and welcome.

Nothing has changed since I wrote this paragraph in January:
    Use of gas in home ovens is not recommended. Gas may accumulate in the dome and create a disaster upon ignition. Commercial gas ovens have many redundant and expensive safety features, and are used by professionals in a commercial environment, not a backyard with kids and pets.
    Nothing is likely to change anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• BigSteve46
    replied

Originally posted by Rob BU View Post
    Indeed, this is a most enlightening exchange--and civilized too! Remarkable site this is.

It does seem that both the Le Panyol and Forno ovens are time tested quality products.
    Doubtless there are many others.

I want to use both gas + wood. (Burning of wood is soon to be restricted in parts of California, and may be outlawed in some areas).It seems that a few oven makers have fancy controlled gas units (I suspect pricey, and more often used in commercial units, while other mfgs seem to suggest a simple pipe with holes, similar to the kind used in fire places. These would lack the auto-shut-off safety feature, are not thermosat regulated. Any experience here?

Rob BU
    Does anyone have info or experience with a residential gas & wood fired pizza oven beyond responses already provided?

Leave a comment:

• Rob BU
    replied

hmmm.

This is surely not a concern I have heard before.

For one thing, propane sinks, and would go out the door.

R

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Hi, Rob, Welcome.

Use of gas in home ovens is not recommended. Gas may accumulate in the dome and create a disaster upon ignition. Commercial gas ovens have many redundant and expensive safety features, and are used by professionals in a commercial environment, not a backyard with kids and pets.

Most woodburning restrictions have an exception for what are essentially backyard barbeques, because they are periodic quick fires, rather than the smoldering smokers that woodstoves usually are. Check with your local government.

FB is a California company. James should know more about this.

Leave a comment:

• Rob BU
    replied

Indeed, this is a most enlightening exchange--and civilized too! Remarkable site this is.

It does seem that both the Le Panyol and Forno ovens are time tested quality products.
    Doubtless there are many others.

I want to use both gas + wood. (Burning of wood is soon to be restricted in parts of California, and may be outlawed in some areas).It seems that a few oven makers have fancy controlled gas units (I suspect pricey, and more often used in commercial units, while other mfgs seem to suggest a simple pipe with holes, similar to the kind used in fire places. These would lack the auto-shut-off safety feature, are not thermosat regulated. Any experience here?

Rob BU

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Did you hear that they have found a village near Stonehenge and uncovered a path between the village and the "special" stones? The scientists are pretty convinced that Stonehenge was a burial alter to honor the dead. Pretty nice way to go. So it wasn't a huge pizza oven after all. Darn.

Nick, I think you confused that oven with the drummer in Spinal Tap -- it just spontaneous combusted.
    James

Leave a comment:

• redbricknick
    replied

In lieu of the long winded and masterfully crafted series of excuses I usually run with after saying something stupid, I offer a heartfelt and modest apology. I'm sorry your enlightening and empathic post had to be born out of such an immature gesture on my behalf.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

JW,

Maybe, maybe not. True special stones are gathered by Wicca followers near Stonehenge, on the Salisbury Plain, at the exact moment of the summer solistice. Otherwise, yer outta luck.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• jwnorris
    replied

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    <snip> ...holding a special stone. <snip>
    You mean the stone I bought isn't special afterall?

J W

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied

Albert,

That was a very thoughtful and thorough message. I've never bought any of the "urban legend" stuff either. Maine Wood Heat and the MHA have been around a long time, and I've always valued the professional approach you guys take to building. It's odd how these things get started. I've been told many times that adding steam to my oven will make it blow up. Huh?

Then again, some people out there make their sourdough starters at midnight, black cat nearby, holding a special stone. Huh?

Personally, I think the more communication and collaboration we achieve, the better off we'll all be.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by CanuckJim; 02-15-2007, 07:16 AM. Reason: Typoos again

Leave a comment:

• james
    replied

Hello Albert,
    I know that we have exchanged emails in the past to say hello, and want to apologize that our group was poking fun at your products. We try to have a sense of humor, which may have gone overboard. La Panyol has been around for many years, and we all respect that.

Also, welcome to our group. We have invited other MHA members to join our Forum, and FB is in the process of joining the MHA, and we are very interested in hearing about your experiences and look forward to sharing what we have all learned.
    Regards,
    James

Leave a comment:

• dmun
    replied

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I have added a comment to the original thread linking it to your message, for the benefit of anyone googling around.

It's no fun selling a product that gets "urban legends" attached to it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X