insulating fire brick questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• insulating fire brick questions

I have the opportunity to purchase the following insulating fire brick for $1 each: BNZ fire brick From searching the forum, it seems like fire brick is considered the insulating equal to vermicrete. When I came across the brick for sale, I was hoping it would be a superior method of insulating the oven. Given the costs of the brick, does vermicrete have an advantage over the insulating fire brick? I haven't priced vermicrete, but I assume the price will be close to that of the brick. Seems like it would be easier to work with the brick for insulating under the floor. At this point, I am also considering insulating the dome and vent with the brick. Any disadvantage to this? Thanks for any opinions.

Kurt

Re: insulating fire brick questions

At that price, I would so go for it. Usually they are pretty expensive, but those specs (for the lowest density brick) are close to perlcrete/vermecrete.

Comment

Thanks. So, should I double up the thickness or just go with the 2.5" thickness of the brick? I plan to build a 42" Pompeii. Do you think 200 bricks will cover insulating the floor, dome and vent/chimney area? My rough guestimate is that should be plenty unless I need two layers.

Comment

The data sheet did not have sizes.

Comment

Yeah, should have specified. 2.5 x 4.5 x 8 Thanks.

Comment

I would double up on the floor (I wish I had) and use a combination of ceramic blanket and vermicrete on the dome. If you don't want to drop the cash on the blanket, you can always double the thickness of the vermicrete layer on the dome. It might be a pain in the butt to insulate the dome with brick. Just my .03 (I added a penny for experience).

Regards,
            AT

Comment

Working...
            X