Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my oven - 42" Pompeii Oven Build Seattle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my oven - 42" Pompeii Oven Build Seattle

Hello All,

First of all I would just like to say that after using this site for a few years for pizza recipes and tweaking doughs it is nice to finally have a reason to get into the meat of the forum and start to design and build an oven. I am at the point where I have the basic design settled upon in various pieces and different sketches on napkins. My first question is I see a lot of people using excellent programs to sketch their designs and measurements on a computer. Aside from CAD (trying to keep costs down) does anyone have any free/low cost programs they have used to mock up their designs on a computer first?

I am planning on building a 42" pompeii oven with an attatched bbq. I found DJOs build and interestingly enough it is extremely simialr to the style that my brother-in-law and I have planned out. The house we are matching has a ring of mortared rock along the lower half of the house, and we were hoping to do the same to the oven/bbq. His design and implementation is impressive and has beome our goal to aspire to, coincidentally its also in Seattle. I have been looking through a ton of posts and the more I find the more posts they link to that have excellent advice. I am planning on using the rest of winter to dig out the foundation, I have a lot of loose rock/dirt to dig through to get the space needed, but it should be worth it since the location ought is fairly ideal. I will also use this time to source and design the specifics and measurements.

I am certain that I will have a lot more questions that will come up, but as I wade through all the posts nearly all of the small ones are being answered. This weekend I am planning on talking to a company that sells wood fired pizza at a local farmers market as they are apparently a dealer of FB kits and ovens, so I am hoping I could source some FB Board and insulation without worrying about shipping costs.

So thank you in advance for everything I will read/study/emulate and for any assisstance that can be offered. The largest journey begins with a single step, here's mine.

Sam

Re: Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my oven - 42" Pompeii Oven Build Seat

Welcome. You have embarked on a journey well worth traveling. And like any journey it is worth while to plan ahead...or you might not get to where you hope to be going. It sounds like you are on the right path in that regard.

I have prepared many plans and I have also made many changes along the way. One invaluable tool I have used (besides paper and pencil of course) is Google Sketch-up. It is free software that allows you to design a project to scale in 3D. It takes a little practice and I am no expert (there are literally entire cities recreated in 3D with this software), but if you like that sort of thing it can be fun too. Here are some pictures of mine.

Regards,
    AT

Comment

Re: Rome wasn't built in a day and neither will my oven - 42" Pompeii Oven Build Seat

Whatever happened with this oven? You making any progress?
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

thanks for the interest, life it seems decided to throw me a curve ball and shortly after breaking ground on San Juan Island to start construction I got offered a once in a lifetime job opportunity....in Rhode Island. So I am now finishing up transiting to the Ocean State where I will once again begin the planning for the oven construction.

Comment

Congrats on the new job! Looking forward to seeing the RI build when it happens
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by OceanPizza View Post
            thanks for the interest, life it seems decided to throw me a curve ball and shortly after breaking ground on San Juan Island to start construction I got offered a once in a lifetime job opportunity....in Rhode Island. So I am now finishing up transiting to the Ocean State where I will once again begin the planning for the oven construction.
            You might not be so chipper come winter and hurricane season, but Rhode Island is a great state to visit. Kidding aside, enjoy your new life.

Comment

Working...
            X