brick igloo waterproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brick igloo waterproofing

I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find any information on whether or not any sort of waterproofing is needed on a brick covered dome. I've found info on stucco finished domes, but not brick. At this time, I anticipate covering the fire brick dome with ceramic blanket, a layer of vermicrete and finally brick and mortar. Will the brick and mortar be sufficient to keep the inner layers from water intrusion?

Re: brick igloo waterproofing

Do people waterproof brick home?

Comment

As far as I know, my house has a vapor barrier under the brick. The exterior walls with siding definitely have a barrier applied. However, nothing is applied to the brick.

Comment

House bricks have a fair degree of vitrification (refractory turning to glass) which gives them a certain amount of waterproofing yet still able to breathe. I should think you'd be ok, but you may want to consider waterproofing the mortar. This could be achieved either by making it richer or adding an additive. You will probably not get the thing 100% waterproof whatever you do, but then neither does any other method. A certain amount of water will find its way in even from the humid atmosphere of an extended wet period.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Cannot answer for WFO's-

Homes at least those built in USA, with brick exterior cladding, have a drainage plane designed into the wall assembly. It is assumed that water will infiltrate the wall to some degree. The plane stops further infiltration and channels it away from the inner structure.

In cold climates, where the freeze/thaw cycle could affect the brick and mortar assemblies, a clear sealant can be applied that helps to prevent water infiltration. However, better than surface sealants is a good architectural design with adequate overhangs to protect the surfaces, proper flashings etc. Appropriate design for locality of build.

Since WFO's have no drainage plane, there is little to stop water from infiltrating the build. Keeping the oven under a permanent roof enclosure and frequent use should prevent damage.

Those are my thoughts--but still very much a newbie.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
            I've searched the forum and haven't been able to find any information on whether or not any sort of waterproofing is needed on a brick covered dome. I've found info on stucco finished domes, but not brick. At this time, I anticipate covering the fire brick dome with ceramic blanket, a layer of vermicrete and finally brick and mortar. Will the brick and mortar be sufficient to keep the inner layers from water intrusion?
            Just keep this in mind...

If you are waterproofing masonry to block moisture out...with a type of coating or additives to the mortar, you will also trap it within the masonry. Masonry ANYTHING needs to breathe..that is, be allowed to release moisture that has been absorbed within it. There are sealers made to seal out moisture, yet they allow the masonry to breath...kind of how gore-tex works. Look for sealers and additives of this type.

Make sure all your bricks have been bedded and pointed solidly..no pin holes or gaps. Allow the work to dry, then apply the sealer. Also, if you vent the structure in some way, that will allow air to circulated behind the brick and that will help dry moisture out too...like david mentioned, even humidity will permeate the brick, so air exchange will be more of a benefit than harm.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

I am wondering about the use of Lime Mortar as a potentially more reliable means of waterproofing a structure.

I have Not used it, but I understand that Lime Mortars provide a more flexible finished product. In this, they are resistant to cracking more than Portland Cement Based Mortars.

So I am wondering if Lime based Mortar, combined with Lime based Plaster would prove to be a reliable waterproofing combination as it would be very unlikely to crack as long as the foundation for whatever domed structure being built was adequate.

I don't know, but I think, that a masonry structure would absorb water in a rainfall, but not enough to begin to sweat or drip inside the structure. This is my guess, but since I have never lived in a dome I wouldn't really know.

Would appreciate anybody's ideas who has more experience with this sort of dome construction.

Comment

Originally posted by Tropicalmason View Post
                I am wondering about the use of Lime Mortar as a potentially more reliable means of waterproofing a structure.

I have Not used it, but I understand that Lime Mortars provide a more flexible finished product. In this, they are resistant to cracking more than Portland Cement Based Mortars.

So I am wondering if Lime based Mortar, combined with Lime based Plaster would prove to be a reliable waterproofing combination as it would be very unlikely to crack as long as the foundation for whatever domed structure being built was adequate.

I don't know, but I think, that a masonry structure would absorb water in a rainfall, but not enough to begin to sweat or drip inside the structure. This is my guess, but since I have never lived in a dome I wouldn't really know.

Would appreciate anybody's ideas who has more experience with this sort of dome construction.
                Lime mortar is not waterproof but cement mortars (type S,N) offer a bit more water resistance because of the portland added to them. Lime based plaster, same thing..it 'breathes' or transmits moisture better than plasters that incorporate cement, which tend to trap water behind them..even though they readily absorb it.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

I went to a green business showcase today and on the way had the thought about energy efficient roof coatings that were the new thing several years ago. None were at the show today but did a search at the Home Depot site. Seems like something like this product would be ideal but have not seen any discussing about use to seal igloos. Any thoughts? Bruce

Henry 4.75-Gal. 287 Solarflex White Roof Coating-HE287SF871 at The Home Depot
                  Link to my build here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                  X