planning and layout stages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planning and layout stages

We moved into a 1970s Territorial Style house here in Tucson a few months ago. I have big plans for a WFO and Rumford fireplace, but it will probably be next summer before I can find the time to begin, with all the other house renovations.

There is an obvious site in the backyard, I just have to figure out how to lay it out. The idea is build an L-shape slump block structure with a 36" WFO on one side and a Rumford fireplace on the other. Seating for at least 6 and an open pergola roof with vines overhead. It is a somewhat tight area to fit all this in comfortably.

There were 6 defunct citrus trees in planter beds, each one 2'x2' inner dimensions. I may co-opt the one in the photo for either the WFO or the fireplace. The brick patio will stay in-place, and I plan to have table and chairs up there, but I can't think of a way to integrate it into the cooking area. The brick patio is raised about 8" from the ground, so I'm trying to capitalize on the sunken-seating feeling. The brick steps in front of the pool fence can't be obstructed; there is a swing-open gate right in the middle of those steps.

So I was thinking, seating bench area over top of the old flower bed, then WFO in the citrus planter bed, and fireplace on the edge of the brick patio. Any ideas?
    Last edited by TylerDavis; 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM.

Re: planning and layout stages

Comment

Any ideas?

It looks like some of the existing brickwork is compromised. I would personally tear it all out and start with a clean palette. It looks like you have ample room to make a great kitchen...
      Last edited by Les; 02-25-2013, 09:39 AM.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
        Any ideas?

It looks like some of the existing brickwork is compromised. I would personally tear it all out and start with a clean pallet. It looks like you have ample room to make a great kitchen...
        What Les said.
        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          What Les said.

the long planter bed is certainly failing - probably some roots/irrigation water compromised it. Agree about knocking it out and building a new bench for seating on top.

The citrus planter bed would be nice to reuse as a foundation (just pour concrete slab right in the middle) but I'll remove it and start over if I have to

The brick patio itself is in good shape and will stay. In fact I was thinking of building the Rumford fireplace right on top of it so it is elevated that little bit

I think my most limited quantity will be counter prep space. I'm not sure if I'll have enough on either side of the WFO for prepping pizzas

Comment

Working...
          X