X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marcel
    replied
    Paul built in Portland

(D) 3. Does anyone know of someone in the NW USA specifically Portland that has an oven that they wouldn't mind showing off to someone bearing cold beer. (Have cooler to keep beer cold if I need to travel some)

Any other hints or tips would greatly appreciated.

Thanks darren[/quote]"

================================================

(M) Paul Ages built a great oven in Portland. He hasn't posted here for eons but he must have over 200 posts. I'd write to him through this forum as he hasn't released his private email.

(M) Here's his profile:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/70-paulages/

(M) Paul is knowledgeable about baking as well as building!

Ciao,

Marcel

P.S. You can also see my oven. I'm near junction City, North of Eugene, OR.

Leave a comment:

• rwiggim
    replied
    Re: Hello all.......Oven questions

Originally posted by CanuckJim View Post
    Rwiggim,

Glad you've pulled the trigger. I can't really be specific on footprint for the oven you plan, but I will share a builder's adage. If you think you need a 14' x 22' shop, double the size, and it will still be too small. Same for countertops and shelf space. Maybe give yourself room to expand.

Jim
    Thanks Jim,
    If I want to double it then I will have to figure in the additional cost of a large piece of jewelery for my wife's building permit.

Leave a comment:

• CanuckJim
    replied
    Re: Hello all.......Oven questions

Rwiggim,

Glad you've pulled the trigger. I can't really be specific on footprint for the oven you plan, but I will share a builder's adage. If you think you need a 14' x 22' shop, double the size, and it will still be too small. Same for countertops and shelf space. Maybe give yourself room to expand.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• rwiggim
    started a topic Hello all.......Oven questions

Hello all.......Oven questions

This is my first post although I have been reading this forum for 2 years now. I have been baking sourdough for 8 years now and am finally ready to build an oven (bought a house we plan on staying in for a while). I have read Bread Builders a couple times over and have spoken with a few people who built Scott ovens. After assessing my needs ( 10 loaves or less per firing + pizzas) I think I would better suited to build a dome oven. I have a little experience with brick work but hardly a mason but I am good and stubborn when it comes to seeing things through. I am looking to build a 35" probably because of the thoroughness of Fio's thread. Thank you Fio. I plan on pouring a foundation 8'X12' so beside the oven I can build a table for an Japanese Kamado I have as well as building a shallow satay grill for a complete outdoor cooking station. I will roof the entire foundation with a 1' overhang and run the chimney through the roof.

I have a few questions that I would love to have answered.

1. What is the optimal footprint of a 35" oven fully insulated with loose vermulicite and a full red brick facade? It sounds as if Fio was working with a smaller foundation due to rethinking his design later.
    2. I am not opposed to building it larger if there are good designs out there for a larger one I am just not sure if I need too much more room.
    3. Does anyone know of someone in the NW USA specifically Portland that has an oven that they wouldn't mind showing off to someone bearing cold beer. (Have cooler to keep beer cold if I need to travel some)

Any other hints or tips would greatly appreciated.

Thanks darren
Working...
X