36" Corner build question - Foundation Size - Block Stand Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 36" Corner build question - Foundation Size - Block Stand Size

I looked through the plans for information on corner builds, and it shows a few examples based on "external oven width". Is that just the Inside diameter + (2*4.5")? Or are these example assuming insulation is in place.

I'd like to plan for a 36" corner build, but need some help with the foundation size and the block stand size.

Thanks,
    John

Re: 36" Corner build question - Foundation Size - Block Stand Size

I built a 39" (internal diameter) Pompeii oven in a corner and included storage/table carts that roll into the oven block base for storage. By pulling out the carts, I get two 50" long x 24" wide counters for prep or cooling/cutting--with much more convenient supply & wood storage areas below. Check out the pictures at my web site (link to The Dragonfly Den photos is at the bottom of the main sablesprings page) or go to the referenced Forno Bravo album area for my build photos (also below) to see if something like this might work for you.

What ever you decide, remember that having adequate working space is really essential when you are entertaining or just baking for the family...don't short yourself on the counter space you plan into the design. Building a base/platform that only functions to support the finished oven isn't very efficient (in my humble opinion).
    Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
    Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
    Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
    Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I guess I have in mind a foundation size for a corner build with a 36" ID oven. I have limited space and will add a work area on the right at a later time.

What is the smallest foundation size if I used the recommended insulation. I have not yet decided if this will be enclosed or igloo style.

Thanks,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by jdjr View Post
        I looked through the plans for information on corner builds, and it shows a few examples based on "external oven width". Is that just the Inside diameter + (2*4.5")? Or are these example assuming insulation is in place.

I'd like to plan for a 36" corner build, but need some help with the foundation size and the block stand size.

Thanks,
        John
        The formula above does not include the space needed for insulation and outside cladding/stucco. If you are using the ceramic batting for insulation, the standard thickness recommended is between 2-4 inches. Then the outside covering also needs to be added...for stucco I suspect 1-2 inches for total thickness. Also, I wish I'd have allotted some additional space to help set the forms on top of the slab (I used 4" of perlite/cement mix--perlcrete--for my dome insulation). It's nice to have space to stack bricks, the mortar/stucco bucket, tools, beer, etc., up there on the base while you're working on the oven.

So for your 36" corner build-assuming 2" ceramic insulation and 1" stucco, I'd plan on 36+(2*4.5)+(2*2)+(2*1) inches for an absolute minimum base diameter. Don't forget that you'll want a landing in front that will extend out from the oven opening...

I thought I'd planned out mine pretty well, but the finished dome ended up right on the slab base edges on the back two curves of the oven. If I were to do it again, I'd have added another 6 inches so I had a better place to stand (and put my beer) when working on the top areas of the oven.
        Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
        Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
        Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
        Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
        X