Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons for Cutting Oven Floor ?

Ok Peeps

Please can anyone tell me if there is a good reason for cutting your cooking floor bricks to the diameter of your oven.

Is it not possible to herringbone them and leave bricks protruding from beneath your domes soldier/sailor course.

I would have thought that when the time came to insulate the dome these protuding bricks would be hidden.

Apologies for my ignorance on the matter, Although I'm nowhere near this stage yet, it was just a thought and would love to hear the answers.

Thank in Advance

YK

Re: Reasons for Cutting Oven Floor ?

The only reason that I have read here is that if a floor brick breaks or chips, it can't be easily replaced if part of it is under the dome. Although there is also the caveat that it is very unlikely that a brick will break.

And really, how much difference is a slightly chipped brick going to make?

Comment

I herring-boned my floor underneath my dome...I cant see any reason not to. The argument of "what if you have to replace a brick..." didnt make any sense to me. how/why would a brick ever break...especially around the edges. If a brick were to break, it woudl likely be somewhere in the in the middle of your floor, so it wouldnt matter anyway.

Comment

In a commercial environment using biscotti, you may need to replace for wear. Using firebrick, if a brick cracks, so what?

Comment

A crack in the perimeter brick isn't a problem anyway, because when using individual units for a floor, every joint created is like a crack...but controlled. The only real issue that I see is if a supporting brick was disintegrating or crumbling away. Even then, it wouldn't be any more difficult to replace than a perimeter brick that was cut inside the dome wall, because you will need to lift a section of the floor for the repair in either case.
          Last edited by stonecutter; 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM.
          Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
          John Ruskin

Comment

Hi Again, Guys,

I see the reason in case you need to replace a brick, however, it seems most unlikely that you would have to do this and as has been mentioned whats a little chip here or there.

But perhaps my question wasnt too clear.

If I do as Jeeppiper has done and lay my courses on the top of the brick floor, is it neccessary to trim/cut the bricks back that are on now sticking out the outside of the dome?
            Or do people do it for astetic reasons. ( hope thats spelt right)

YK

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
              Hi Again, Guys,

I see the reason in case you need to replace a brick, however, it seems most unlikely that you would have to do this and as has been mentioned whats a little chip here or there.

But perhaps my question wasnt too clear.

If I do as Jeeppiper has done and lay my courses on the top of the brick floor, is it neccessary to trim/cut the bricks back that are on now sticking out the outside of the dome?
              Or do people do it for astetic reasons. ( hope thats spelt right)

YK
              No..if you are doing an enclosure. But if you are finishing the dome with stucco or something that will follow the shape of the dome down to the slab it would be a good idea..otherwise you'll see a bump-out.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone
                I used a sailor course and put my floor bricks inside the ring.
                I've heard the argument that soldier/sailor courses encourage vertical cracks, but that hasn't happened to me.
                You did a sailor for your first course? I'm curious...full height or half brick? If full height did you buttress it?.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by yorkshireknight View Post
                  Please can anyone tell me if there is a good reason for cutting your cooking floor bricks to the diameter of your oven.
                  Yes. The Prophet of the God of Wood Fire Ovens brought down two firebricks from a mountain upon which were inscribed the commandments of wood fire oven construction. The first commandment was: "Thou shalt make no wood fired ovens but those having a dome shape." The second commandment was "Thou shalt cut thy hearth bricks to fit within thy dome shaped oven."

Anything other form of construction is an abomination and should be torn down, and anyone who preaches contrary to these commandments is a heretic who should be seized, brought before the judges, and slapped around with a pizza peel for a good five minutes.

And that's the reason we cut our bricks to fit inside the dome.

Comment

Oooooohhhhhhh.......
                    I have built an oven with a soldier course outside the the hearth bricks, used non approved insulation.....twice. Cut all the brickwork with a brick bluster for a rough fit. I also built a oblong entrance supported by angle iron. And my worse sin .......I cooked some pizza one time with AP flour And cooked it on pizza trays

May the pizza god have mercy ( Am I such a rebel? )

Regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once
                    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                    My Door
                    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Dave...... sleeping with someone else's brick bolster might be taking it too far...
                      Cheers
                      Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Gudday Damon
                        Thanks ...... Thanks very bl@"$dy much Mate!. There I was confessing my sins and making my peace with the pizza gods ... And you go and get me in more trouble with a greater power the WIFE ( minister of War and Finance ) ... How am I going to explain sleeping in another bed with a bulster... Bl!?dy hell the best I could come up with at this time is complete bathroom rebuild ( if I'm lucky)

Fu"@ing regards
                        Dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Sorry.....

You might have to get a better bolster for tile cutting tho....
                          Cheers
                          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                            May the pizza god have mercy ( Am I such a rebel? )

Regards dave
                            You are going to hell.

Comment

Working...
                            X