Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 32 Igloo Build, Lakeway TX

Originally posted by pfennigthecat View Post
    I've got a 1/2 cord of seasoned split pecan wood (apparently similar to hickory) being delivered on saturday hopefully. $150 delivered and stacked. Same price for oak or mesquite, but I didn't want to risk oak wilt spores with the oak and thought the mesquite might impart too much flavor despite being burned for heat rather than smoke.
    I can't advise on mesquite, but all the hardwoods you mentioned are great for heating. But, if my guess is correct, even mesquite will not "impart too much flavor. That is, if the oven is brought up to pizza temps. Most of the flavor will go up the flu. For smoking, at much lower temps, each one will be very different. Add also the fruit woods/vines to the different smoking flavors. I had not heard about the "oak wilt spores" until your post. That conserns me greatly, since I fire (for clearing the dome temps) with red oak, mostly. I googled, and one of the first hits on the lists was this.

This is a quote from the site.

Do not transport or buy unseasoned firewood. Fungal mats
    may form on unseasoned red oak firewood infected with oak
    wilt, making it possible to spread oak wilt to uninfected are
    Seasoned firewood (dried for at least one year) should not spread
    oak wilt. Also, burning infected wood cannot transmit oak wilt.
    You may have to find (through references) a trusted wood supplier. Or, become your own. There are a lot of free sources out there. You will find them (in your area) within time .

This is "my first rodeo" with this disease, so welcome all other advice!

Also. thanks for the heads up. This sht is probably coming my way!

Oh wait, If it is coming out of Texas, maybe, just maybe, hopefully, it will get intercepted in the "fourth quarter" .

Geauxe Saints
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Mesquite burns too fast, too hot, it is no bueno for the WFO.

Comment

Burning the oak wilt is not the issue, Gulf, storing it is. I lost 10 of 30 trees on my lot to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          Burning the oak wilt is not the issue, Gulf, storing it is. I lost 10 of 30 trees on my lot to it.
          Tscar,
          Storing it wet may be. Before this thread, I had not heard about the disease. I sincerely hope that it doesn't get to my part of Mississippi. By that time I hope that I have learned enough from Ya'll to understand how to cope widthn this sht.

I will now highlight another sentence or two of the quote.

Do not transport or buy unseasoned firewood. Fungal mats
          may form on unseasoned red oak firewood infected with oak
          wilt, making it possible to spread oak wilt to uninfected are
          Seasoned firewood (dried for at least one year) should not spread
          oak wilt.
          Also, burning infected wood cannot transmit oak wilt.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

It has wiped out well over half the trees in my neighborhood, even those who spent 10's of thousands to prevent it. It is not worth the risk of storing unknown oak, period.

If you have it and cut the trees, there is no extra risk in using it, but bringing in random split oak is just not a good idea.

Comment

I'm by no means an expert on oak wilt, which is why I opted for pecan instead (so I wouldn't have to be). What I have learned however is that different types of oak are more susceptible -- red oak in particular is seen as the prime means of transmission as it is heavily susceptible. Texas Live Oak is moderately susceptible and post oak much less so. So in general, if you just get seasoned post oak firewood it should be pretty safe. But pretty safe isn't 100% safe, and the wood suppliers I talked to carried all three kinds of oak -- I didn't want to risk getting the wrong kind mixed in at all.

I was basing my wood selection on the page here:
              Berry Bros Firewood Co.
              It said that mesquite was great for pizza ovens, but that pecan (aka domesticated hickory) was the best.

Anyhoo, did a big burn today. No flames shooting out the opening, but big enough that they were licking out the arch just a litle. Cleared the whole dome :-). After it settled down and I pushed it to the side, oven thermometer on the floor on the other side was reading 575. Made about nine pizzas (about 9" each) with various toppings for family and my parents. All came out great, even/especially the one that burned just a bit.

Best pizzas:
              Tomato, yellow squash, fresh garlic, basil
              Carmelized fennel, carmelized onions, fresh garlic, black pepper, blue jack cheese

It's about 4 hours later and oven is reading 450. Going to put in a batch of rye pretzels after DW finishes parboiling them.

Comment

First time back in a while, because I've been enjoying pizza for the last year :-). But also back because I need help to fully finish this project. I can't get my stone veneer to stick to my concrete block, despite what appears to be the perfect mortar for this. I've started a new thread in the "finish" sub forum:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/n...tml#post179160

But just in case anyone following this particular thread knows a good stone pro.... please? I've tried multiple times now and the aggravation is not worth it. I need a professional.

Comment

I said this on your other thread...reach out to Tscarborough.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                  John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                  X