Too Small?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too Small?

I poured my foundation yesterday. It's 12' X 40". The size was based on exsisting land marks, esthetics and the need to keep the drive way open to get a trailer past it.

I am (was?) planning on making the the base stand 48" X 40" and canter-leavering the hearth an additional 8" over the front to give me a 4' square building area. Now I am having concerns that:
    - It is too small of an area for a 36" WFO (or at least adding a vent arch and landing area.
    - The strength of the canter-leaver portion if the hearth.

Am I over thinking this, or are my concerns legit? I can easily make my base wider. I can also add to my foundation another 12" or so, but that poses many additional challenges. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

Re: Too Small?

BS,

A 36 inch oven will require more than the 40 you have - a standard build is:

36 in. interior
    9 in. for the brick (assuming 1 brick cut in half)
    4 in. for insulation (2 in. of blanket - I would think this is minimum for insulation)
    1 in. for stucco.

The above is for a dome - an enclosure would require even more space.

The canter-leaver is not a problem if constructed properly.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Thank you Les.

I am planning on a enclosing the oven utilzing a 48" square base. Therefore I know that the insulation around the base will be "thin", as I plan on using 4" X 4" X 16" cinder blocks around it. I figured that as long as the hearth floor is well insulated, as well as the top of the oven, I should be alright. However, it doesn't leave me much room for the arched vented opening and landing.

How far off am I in my thought process? Is it even doable? If not, what have I not accounted for?
      Last edited by Just BS; 05-01-2013, 12:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
        The canter-leaver is not a problem if constructed properly.
        Is tied in rebarb enough? I'll probably add some wire mesh just to be on the safe side...

Comment

Originally posted by Just BS View Post
          Thank you Les.

I am planning on a enclosing the oven utilzing a 48" square base. Therefore I know that the insulation around the base will be "thin", as I plan on using 4" X 4" X 16" cinder blocks around it. I figured that as long as the hearth floor is well insulated, as well as the top of the oven, I should be alright. However, it doesn't leave me much room for the arched vented opening and landing.

How far off am I in my thought process? Is it even doable? If not, what have I not accounted for?
          Can you post a drawing of what you have in mind?

Comment

Is tied in rebarb enough? I'll probably add some wire mesh just to be on the safe side...
            Rebar is fine. Just make sure is goes into the hearth slab a ways and preferably has a bend so there is no chance of it pulling out

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
              Can you post a drawing of what you have in mind?
              I'm unable to upload pics from my smartphone. Not sure if its a newbee thing, or a phone thing.

Comment

Not sure if its a newbee thing, or a phone thing.
                The pics are too large and need reducing in size.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Here is what I started with. It's a 40" X 12' slab, as I am also going to build an off set verticle smoker.

Comment

Once I laid out the first coarse, I realized that there is NO WAY I can do what I want, so I am going to dig another set of footings where the oven stand will be.

Comment

The weather here has cooperated with my work schedule, but once it does, I will include pics of the new forms and foundation.

Comment

Working...
                      X