New Member- New build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Member- New build

I have some 'Glaze and Seal' stone impregnator left over from a job I did. (Not to be confused with Glaze and seal Saltillo Glaze) It says its water based and has price tag of $80 a gallon.

Hopefully it won't stain much. Travertines come in all shapes and finishes. Mine is Durango honed. The edges polished nicely. I had the polishing discs left over from my granite kitchen job as well. If you have a lot of iron in your water eventually it will stain some. We do so I expect some color change. The stone I'm using to face the base has a lot of iron staining already so maybe it will blend. I'm going to give it all the sealer it will absorb and let it do its thing.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Moving along with the rock work.

[IMG][/IMG]

Still have insulation, stucco, door and chimney to finish.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Another view.

Comment

very nice! You are going to have to change the title of your thread!!

You are no longer a new member with a new build! You are an experienced member with a completed build!

Comment

Thanks boerwarrior.

It's been kind or hard to get anything done with the smoke the way it is.
            I really struggled with location. I would have rather had 3' of ornamental clay flue than 15' of pipe but I'll live with it.
            Most of the curing fires are done. Last one was up around 700 degrees.
            The first pic shows the tie wire I embedded with the fire brick and the pencils keeping the rebar holes clean. I think the rebar cage will work out fine to install the wire lath with.

regards-

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

After a delay I've found time to finish the stonework and install the dome insulation.

[IMG][/IMG]

I must say the modification to a wood float was invaluable. It made the insulation install easy.
              I just marked the arc on a piece of wood, band sawed it and screwed it to the float. Easy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I found perlite far superior to vermiculite. It works easy and doesn't compress.
              Be sure to use a respirator.
              Last edited by Calisdad; 10-25-2013, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Before you stucco, consider scoring the travertine 3/16"- 1/2" deep around the diameter of the oven, and use a flexible membrane to flash it. As an alternative you can use a paintable membrane (with seam tape) like Redgard or Hydro-ban.

Your tile work is great....very clean work on your joints and corner bevel.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by Calisdad View Post
                  I have some 'Glaze and Seal' stone impregnator left over from a job I did. (Not to be confused with Glaze and seal Saltillo Glaze) It says its water based and has price tag of $80 a gallon.

Hopefully it won't stain much. Travertines come in all shapes and finishes. Mine is Durango honed. The edges polished nicely. I had the polishing discs left over from my granite kitchen job as well. If you have a lot of iron in your water eventually it will stain some. We do so I expect some color change. The stone I'm using to face the base has a lot of iron staining already so maybe it will blend. I'm going to give it all the sealer it will absorb and let it do its thing.
                  Your travertine will darken over time, but it shouldn't be a drastic change...the earth tones look nice together, I like the contrast between the two finishes.

Is your stone from CA? I have worked with sandstone from Montana that was rich in iron oxide like yours....you might want to seal that to control rust bleeding.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for the compliments Stonecutter.

The stone is a local rock. I had to stop for a road crew one day and figured out where they dumped it. I went back and got tons and tons of it. Some of the rocks were over 300 pounds as you can see in post #5. I'll seal it after I wash it again.

I think you answered my very first question of my first post. I was concerned with thermal expansion but I think you are referring to water infiltration. Good point and thanks for the heads up. Do you have any product information on the seam tape you would use?

thanks-
                    Calisdad

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

After a delay I've found time to finish the stonework and install the dome insulation.

[IMG][/IMG]

I must say the modification to a wood float was invaluable. It made the insulation install easy.
                      I just marked the arc on a piece of wood, band sawed it and screwed it to the float. Easy.

[IMG][/IMG]

I found perlite far superior to vermiculite. It works easy and doesn't compress.
                      Be sure to use a respirator.
                      Another beautiful oven. I'm considering using leftover travertine from my patio for the counter top, as well as leftover granite for the landing. Mine consists of pavers while yours are substantive. Alternatively, I'm considering using the travertine for the stone veneer, with leftover mexican river pebbles in between the pavers.
                      Link to my build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                      https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Thanks for the compliments Stonecutter.

The stone is a local rock. I had to stop for a road crew one day and figured out where they dumped it. I went back and got tons and tons of it. Some of the rocks were over 300 pounds as you can see in post #5. I'll seal it after I wash it again.
                        Ahh...shot rock. Your laying it up well....an organic layup is better than chiseling it, there are bound to be lots of hidden fissures created by the blast....causing bad breaks on the last chisel hit.

A good penetrating sealer should do trick. I'm not sure whats available to you, but shoot me a PM if you want some recommendations.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I think you answered my very first question of my first post. I was concerned with thermal expansion but I think you are referring to water infiltration. Good point and thanks for the heads up. Do you have any product information on the seam tape you would use?

thanks-
                          Calisdad
                          I haven't gone back to your first pages yet, I'll take a look. Yes, my post was about water infiltration along the cold joint of your dome finish and the travertine.

Kerdi-Band ( Schluter), or Durock tile backer tape....anything alkali-resistant. Same thing for liquid memebrane.

I think the liquid membrane is the better choice.....when turning the diameter of the oven, it will be difficult to avoid wrinkling the tape, which could create a place for water penetration.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

It appears that you left about 1/4"-3/8" space between the oven brick and the travertine. Did you leave it open or fill it with the insulation mix?

It should be fine either way, the only way it might tent the tile is if there were something solid filling in the space...like mortar, thin-set, grout or concrete.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks mirassou. I found travertine easy to work with. Much softer than granite.

[IMG][/IMG]

Stonecutter I ended up using Eternabond tape. Its made for RV roofs and is very sticky like bituthene.
                              Its backed with vinyl so it should act as a slipsheet and direct any crack to the cold joint.

I live in the foothills and winter and spring storms drop a lot of rock on the roads.
                              The crews usually stockpile it so we visit the piles and glean a lot of landscape rock.
                              This wasn't blasted but it is on the soft side.
                              Easy to work with as I only cut about 10 pieces on the whole install.

I need to finish the firebrick still.
                              I want to eliminate any horizontal surfaces that would pool water.

I had to drill a few extra holes for the pencil rod but I'm happy with how tight it went on.
                              I'd recommend installing wire between the firebrick to anyone planning to use stucco lath.
                              Last edited by Calisdad; 10-27-2013, 07:32 AM.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Wire is on and ready for 1st coat. Just tie it on and tighten with needle nose pliers until it sings.

Comment

Working...
                                X