38" build in southern IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 38" build in southern IL

If you got it use it. Be prepared, you will get cracks, it is a fact of life with these WFOs. Adds character. As I was laying bricks I did use leftover homebrew on my dome just because I did not want to waste it. Take your reading all over, your just want to make sure you do not concentrate the heat in any one place, unequal thermal expansion in one of the culprits to cracks. Are you insulating with ceramic fiber or vcrete/pcrete or both. If using vcrete or pcrete, save you cement to use there too.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

These smart phones are great! The phone bell rings when an email hits the phone.

After the refractory concrete coating over the brick dome I will insulate with a two inch layer of ceramic fiber blanket. The plan at this time is there will be the cast manhole pipe which will be set on top of the dome and blanket, then I will fill the entire space with course vermiculite insulation. I found a horticultural warehouse not far which carries 4 cubic foot bags pretty cheap. Hopefully that will provide enough insulation?

thanks..jon
      jon

Comment

Should be golden............
        Russell

Comment

It's been a week or so since I have posted pictures. The weather has finally been cooperative for outside masonry, so lots of work has been accomplished, at least for a peasant. Dropping the plug in was a milestone. Then on to the entry and outer arch.

The concrete sewer pipe base to support the oven platform idea started off pretty to what I thought would be a clever and creative idea, but when it came to the outer arch and oven entry to support the 2 sections of clay tile flue I was having second thoughts and it became quite a challenge for a peasant like me. All my up front planning and mental design thoughts from this winter and spring hit a brick wall as I started laying out the oven arch for the flue. I have been reading all the threads and posts about having enough flue diameter and was concerned about the volume above the inner arch. I ultimately decided to use a clay tile flue with a ten inch outside diameter (eight inch inside diameter). A big part of the issue is the 6 foot concrete barrel section which will cover the dome has a six inch thick wall. Thus i had to push the flue inside the arch quite a bit. I hope this won't be too much of a problem loading food into the oven as it does seem like it is a ways in there. Guess I will need to invest in a long (a really long) handled pizza peel. (Gulf did comment earlier in the thread on this overkill design could have some functional problems...he may be right)LOL

Still need to wash the clay brick down. I am going to try some vinegar first and if that doesn't work I'll try the mild muratic acid.

I had to see what one section of flue would look like so I just have it setting on top temporarily. And to take a pic....love those pics. I removed it after the pic so I could cover the oven as I do every night and put it to bed....just in case it rains. Anyway, the oven is resting a couple days before I start the curing process. Think i will try a quartz lite or a small heater first. I may try the heat beads also before the wood fires.

Now on to the door!!!

Thanks to all who have posted on the forum, I am forever grateful to those who have shared their knowledge and wisdom!

jon
          jon

Comment

Pizza, starting fires, adding wood (so long as you don't try to put tree trunks in), no problem. Dutch ovens, large skillets: it helps to have one of these. Mine is a cheapo roller from Harbor Freight . The pic is from my curing fires. I insulated first and had several weaks of air drying. The heat beads (charcoal) are the trick. No need to buy heat lamps, or use increasingly larger fires over several days. Just start the heat bead treatment in the early morning and keep it going as long as you can that same night before going to a real fire. The key to this is is a recommendation by David Sharp. Put a clear plastic sheet over the dome. If it builds up moisture, remove it and keep heating. At some point you will put the clear plastic sheet on and there will be no moisture collecting underneath. It is then time to" kick this pig" (fire it up) .

Just don't try to add anything that would stick out much further than the bulge in your stand. Very cool design, you will make it work.
            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

That is one unique base i remember when you started now to see the finished product is neat!
              Russell

Comment

Templates made and measurements taken to concrete precaster yesterday. I should be able to set the next two barrels later next week or so. In the meantime i am working on the entry floor, door and a flue cap.
                jon

Comment

Jon,

I just discovered your build and will start tracking it. I think your unique base sets the stage for a very cool WFO!

I wondered if you would share more about your IT? Particularly, the dimensions you ended up using and why? One of the more important one would be the distance of the hinge from the pivot point (center) and why.

Of course, I would like to know your reasoning and how you feel it worked out for you. I am curious because I am still in the planning stages and am considering taking this approach to get to a slightly flatter ceiling. I recognize, as you did, that the modified IT isn't going to work with the last few courses, but it doesn't seem like some use them at the top anyway.

Anything you are willing to share would be appreciated!

Carl

Comment

Following your build also! I'm in Macomb Il where abouts are you. Would love to pop by to check it out. PM me if you'd like.

Comment

Originally posted by kanoer54 View Post
                      The concrete sewer pipe base to support the oven platform idea started off pretty to what I thought would be a clever and creative idea, but when it came to the outer arch and oven entry to support the 2 sections of clay tile flue I was having second thoughts and it became quite a challenge for a peasant like me.
                      The sewer pipe base kills me I'm in the sewer biz and wished I'd thought of it. If you are familiar at all with a manhole, seeing your build make me think that dog-housing a manhole cone section over top of the oven and cut out for the entrance would have been way cool. I can see it now, the chimney stack come out of a manhole lid, brilliant!

Nice job so far on your build
                      Chris

Link to my photo album:
                      https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

It has been a long while since I posted any updated pics, so I thought I better get busy.

FELIX, this was my first build and I did months of research on the FB site as well as other sites. FB is far and above the best site to find information and help. There are many people with a lot of experience who will share their knowledge. There wasn't really any strong reason for wanting a lower dome height rather than a true spherical dome. I guess the reason for the low dome was part of the creative side in me and wanting something of a challenge. I never laid a brick in mortar in my life so the dome fire brick was already enough of a challenge. Guess I am a sucker for a challenge. Once I figured out the calculation of 5 inches from center of the dome to the hinge pin it was just the same as a regular IT. Remember the center of the IT rod has to line up with the center of the brick to avoid the next course from 'lipping' over the previous course. Also, with the lazy susan, once IT rod reaches a vertical position, the IT becomes useless and you have to be creative on the last two courses. I used a car jack, round piece of plywood and some brick pieces to shim up the brick until the mortar held. Others have shared their ways to lay the last two courses if you do some research of other threads. We have been able to cook everything we want in this oven so no problem or issues there. There are a couple pics below which I hope will help you.

Rotterdam, I am down state from you. About 25 miles east of St Louis, just off route 4. Let me know if you are down this way sometime.

Hodgey1, glad you appreciate the pipes. I was in design/build commercial construction for 35 years. As I was doing my initial research for the oven, I saw a comment and a pic on someones thread joking about a sewer pipe and thought it was a possible creative idea. I thought, hey, my oven is round, why not have a round base...the creative side coming out again. I called one of my sewer pipe fabricator contacts and explained my ideas to him. At first he thought i was nuts, but I did get him to buy into it. There are six concrete pieces. He fabricated an 8' x 10" thick base which I have down about 18 inches for frost protection, the three dog house base section, the 10 inch thick counter top, the single hole section where the oven entrance is, the non-concentric tapered cone section and a three inch thick lid. The only true custom piece is the counter top. I have a two inch ledge all the way around for the single hole section to set into so no water can ever seek its way in to the oven floor insulation. In plan view the counter top looks like a mickey mouse head and ears. The ears being the side counters. The counter top section has 2 layers of rebar. The bottom layer is #6 bar 8" on center both directions and the top layer is #5 bar 8" both directions, so I know this sucker is never going to move or crack! The guys delivering the pieces were amazed how it all pulled together. Once all of the pieces were set, I use some concrete tilt-up panel wall patch to fill in the bug holes and the gaps between the concrete sections. For extra insulation, I pretty much filled the two top sections around the dome with vermiculite for extra insulation. I plan on painting "EST 1836" in 6 inch tall letters above the oven entrance to commemorate when the house was built. My wife says the oven resembles a milk can so the lettering might be appropriate. I am also hoping the english ivy we planted will grow and eventually cover a lot of the concrete. I still need to figure something out with finishing the countertop...ie, polished concrete, granite, tile, etc options.

Hodgley, As a side note, since you are in the sewer business you and others might appreciate some other thoughts/ideas. Another option in lieu of a pouring a concrete slab, block walls and a top slab to build the oven on, is to talk with a sewer pipe/manhole fabricator. They often also build custom septic tanks and would probably entertain fabbing up something to the dimensions needed for an oven. This would especially be true for a barrel oven. If someone is in a time crunch to get the base in so they could start laying down insulation and building their dome, this could be a huge time saver.

thanks....jon
                        jon

Comment

Jon,

What an awesome build! I nearly fell off my chair when I saw they finish, my earlier comment to finish it with a manhole cone section came true. Wish I had thought of that but then I'd would of had a tough time selling that to my wife. Again nice finish.
                          Chris

Link to my photo album:
                          https://www.flickr.com/photos/hodgey...7646087819291/

Link to my build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...nia-19366.html

Comment

Chris,
                            Thanks for your comments. This was a fun build, cooks great and retains the heat very well. I am certainly looking forward to another build soon.

jon
                            jon

Comment

jon,

I have not seen your finished build until now, last time was before you added the top section. It turned out very nice. No question on uniqueness.
                              Russell

Comment

Russel,
                                Thank you for your kind words. It was a lot of fun to build and we enjoy cooking in it several times a week.
                                jon
                                jon

Comment

Working...
                                X