Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New foundation question

Hi everyone

I'm about to start my outdoor kitchen with wfo in southern ontario(3' frost line) and am having problems finding a scenario on here that pertains to me. Yes, I will be pouring a slab without a foundation but I have a couple of options I have been debating...

I will be building a 36" wfo and would like to attach a counter to the one side of it. Will the uneven distribution of weight( heavy wfo on one end....light steel framed/stucco counter on the other) cause issues?

Am I better off leaving a gap between the two so that IF there is heaving that the two can "float" unattached?

All comments are welcomed and I appreciated

Thanks everyone
    houseofparliament@hotmail.com

Re: New foundation question

Originally posted by houseofparliament View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm about to start my outdoor kitchen with wfo in southern ontario(3' frost line) and am having problems finding a scenario on here that pertains to me. Yes, I will be pouring a slab without a foundation but I have a couple of options I have been debating...

I will be building a 36" wfo and would like to attach a counter to the one side of it. Will the uneven distribution of weight( heavy wfo on one end....light steel framed/stucco counter on the other) cause issues?

Am I better off leaving a gap between the two so that IF there is heaving that the two can "float" unattached?

All comments are welcomed and I appreciated

Thanks everyone
    I never like the idea of attaching the counter to the oven structure itself, because of dynamic movement. Given your location, you have to deal with that, so I recommend a separate slab for the counter support ( assuming its a cabinet or something). You can still keep the counter very close to the oven, but spaced to accommodate any movement that occurs.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
    X