Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

39" Oven in AZ

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Les,

    You think it would be fine even if it is suspended up that high off the ground? Any thoughts on a safe thickness of the suspended slab? I wouldn't think that the same 4" hearth slab would be necessary but I could be wrong.

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Originally posted by Grtiz View Post
    I wonder if I could bore several holes into the base and insert rebar pegs and then create a form to extend the hearth after the fact.

    We clearly don't have freezing issues here and it wouldn't be supporting that much weight either.

    Thoughts?
    You can do that. When people have additions built onto their homes that is how they get attached. Use an epoxy that is made for this purpose and you should have no issues. Drill as deep as possible because it will want to "pull".

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    I wonder if I could bore several holes into the base and insert rebar pegs and then create a form to extend the hearth after the fact.

    We clearly don't have freezing issues here and it wouldn't be supporting that much weight either.

    Thoughts?

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    So my fatal flaw in design is the brick landing comes up to about 1" from the front of the hearth. There will be counter space to the left and right of the oven once I get the pavers and outdoor kitchen islands installed.

    What are everyone's thoughts on using some L brackets bolted into the base to support a small granite or similar material landing?

    The rest of the dome will end up with a steel stud enclosure.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Well it has been awhile since I've posted and I've disappointed myself in documenting my progress. So these few posts should catch me up to masonry completion.

    Leave a comment:


  • ATK406
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Looks great. I don't know what it is. I have looked at so many of these builds and I just can't get over this geometry! And now that the beveled inner arch has become the norm these builds just keep looking better and better..keep up the good work!

    BTW what are you targeting for your dome height? I only ask because I built a 42" oven and ended up with a 22.5" dome and I wish I had made it lower. I think the lower dome would help to cook/brown the top of the pizza a little quicker. Theoretically a 39" oven would have a 19.5" dome (assuming your hemisphere started at floor level), which is probably ideal, but it is easy to get off track. You still have time to make some adjustments (if necessary) to meet that target.

    Look forward to seeing the rest of your build.

    Regards,
    AT

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Finished up the transition today. I think the pace should really start picking up if I am correct now that it will be straight circles all the way around. By Deejayohs wonderful calculator I should be done with the dome in 6 more courses.

    I'm fairly sure though that I will need another 20-30 bricks more than the 200 I purchased to finish the outer arch.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Progress from today. Next course should complete the transition on the inner arch.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Been awhile since I posted but I'm making progress slowly

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Looks like you figured out the angles. Coming along nicely.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Had a long weekend so I was able to put up a course on Saturday and another this afternoon. Thank you thank you again to Dennis and Chip and Russell for getting me back on track.
    Last edited by Grtiz; 08-12-2013, 07:37 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • deejayoh
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    ...just can't use the numbers from one process to the other.
    JCG's graph translates from one process to the other. The numbers on the horizontal (x) axis are the "slope" that would be used for the vertical lift on a Hendo Jig. The numbers on the vertical (y) axis are the "bevel" that corresponds for the Beehive Jig.

    So, reading the chart, for your current course with a 12 degree "slope" you should be using a 1.2-ish degree bevel to get the "V" right.

    I PM'd JCG to see if he could send me the supporting spreadsheet but not sure he is very active on the forum any longer. If I have some time I will try to work it out. I think it's a constant formula, just not good enough at trig to do it quickly!
    Last edited by deejayoh; 07-28-2013, 11:36 AM.

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Your right, it is not really a spreadsheet but a data sheet. I think at one time jcp31 was going to thread the data calcs but I never saw it. You can accomplish the same with Hendo's angle iron jig by using wedges for vertical and horizontal lift across the entire surface of the brick. But nothing wrong with Hendo's approach, just can't use the numbers from one process to the other.

    Leave a comment:


  • Grtiz
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Is there actually a spreadsheet that JCG31 put out with his chart?

    I started a jig like hendos as I'm still unsure how to correctly incorporate your jig into the method.

    patrick

    Leave a comment:


  • UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: 39" Oven in AZ

    Mr Chip and Dj,

    Glad you are helping Mr. G. Must of miss the latest postings. With my jig I did use the JCG31 spreadsheet data as a baseline with my bevels and angles vs Hendo's approach. Mr. G, whether it is DJ's or JCG31's data, the numbers get you in the ball park. Each build is slightly different and so a little adjusting is always in the stars. Good luck.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X