Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Thank you so much for the compliment. I think I used your build and problem solving most of all while going through this project!
I meant the firebrick. There are two joints that open up a bit when the oven gets up to temp.
Excellent plan of attach of the decorative arch. I suppose I should have tackled that before I did the stucco but I think it should be fine right over the top. Once it is cured it seems to take a grinder or a hammer and chisel to remove it.
X
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Looking good!
I assume you mean that the housing flexes, or did you mean the firebrick?
I mortared decorative bricks to the face of my firebrick outer arch, overlapping the oven housing (which is hardieboard) I just used standard mortar. It's worked fine for me - been in place for 2 years
you can see the before and after below
2 PhotosLast edited by deejayoh; 01-01-2015, 04:08 PM.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Happy New Year Forno Bravo posters. I just wanted to say thank you for all the help over the course of this project. I am almost done. I just need to finish the stucco on the roof and seal it. Complete the distressed wood door over the fuel storage area and the decorative arch.
The decorative arch has me a bit stymied. I was thinking of going with travertine brick pavers cut to shape as my base material and going from there. However I'm not sure on how to attach them to the outer arch since it does have a bit of flex once the oven gets hot.
Any suggestions on how to attach them, what to mortar the joints with. I'm also open to a different material if anyone has suggestions.6 Photos
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Wow time just zips by. Clearly I did not get photos up the following day. Here are some of the more current photos as the project has moved along.
Need to do the landing followed by the tile and stucco and finally figure how I will seal the roof above the oven.
Then I can finish the gas hook up and start using the complete kitchen.4 Photos
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Got the oven hot enough to clear the dome this evening. Will try and post some pictures but no visible cracks on the dome. The one on the outer arch didn't open up again either. The one on the inner arch didn't widen when the dome got hot enough to clear so I think I will call this a success and start to close up the enclosure.
Pics to follow tomorrow.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Today's lesson was with Tapcon screws. I know the instructions state to drill the holes 1/4 inch deeper than the screw length. This did not work for me at all I found that when attaching the steel track for the enclosure that I had to drill at least 3/4 - 1" deeper than the screw length.
I also but three washers on to add about 1/4 inch of effective drill depth. This also gave a much larger surface area to hold down the steel track.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Excellent points and thank you
I think I'll probably start insulating this week then before I get much further in. Called a place to get the steel studs other than HD or Lowes so I think I'll take a few days off get a shell going and throw on that insulation.
Today's curing fire (390-400) added new crack to the inner arch that mirrors the outer arch and the dome shows hairline cracks in the cladding. They seem to be in a radial pattern but I can't see any of them on the interior.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Pardon me there Grtiz.......Your build is looking also great.Originally posted by Cyungle View PostLooking great, Gritz! The weather is perfect this time of year for working outside and finishing the project. What ideas do you have for the chimney? For my build, I was going to complete all the masonry (chimney too) before I did my first curing fires but I'm not sure whether that is necessary.
// C
.......I think by finishing the insulation it lessens thermal stresses and chimney adds weight to compress the arch. I think my very small crack on my arch would have been much greater if I had not taken this route
. My arch crack is barely noticeable at this point, and has pretty much fill with soot, making it hard for even me to see. This is just my opinion and conclusion of the many great theories found here on the forum.
Grtiz, I think your crack will be fine although you might want to consider some buttressing and additional weigh on the chimney for added insurance. Just my opinion.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Looking great, Gritz! The weather is perfect this time of year for working outside and finishing the project. What ideas do you have for the chimney? For my build, I was going to complete all the masonry (chimney too) before I did my first curing fires but I'm not sure whether that is necessary.
// C
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Grtiz,Originally posted by Grtiz View PostDay two of curing fires. made it to 300 degrees on the dome for an hour or so. The crack hasn't grown any larger and I still have yet to see any new ones.
Wonder if the months of sitting in the AZ sun helped dry the mortar out a bit.
I would put some insulation on before going to the hotter curing fires. Just my opinion.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
Day two of curing fires. made it to 300 degrees on the dome for an hour or so. The crack hasn't grown any larger and I still have yet to see any new ones.
Wonder if the months of sitting in the AZ sun helped dry the mortar out a bit.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
M4L,
Thank you for the compliment. I used the wedges both to keep the angle and reduce the amount of mortar that I needed. With tapering the bricks you end up with a ton of waste from cuts and brick dust. So it seemed like a great way to use it up as much as possible. Even doing that I think I have pile of waste that is about equal to 20 to 30 bricks. Maybe more.
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
I know it's a bit late in the forum but instead of mortar I see wedges in between some of the dome bricks. Was just wondering if this was to keep the angle or use less mortar...or both. Thanks and looking great
Leave a comment:
-
1st crack
So I started the curing fires today. This was at 200 degrees using crumpled paper scraps.
Sadly I got a crack in the outer arch. The lower part of the crack in the arch itself I'm not sure that it needs to be ground out and repaired but the one up top in the base for attaching the anchor certainly will be.
I should probably do this before lighting another curing fire and wait another week correct?1 Photo
Leave a comment:
-
Re: 39" Oven in AZ
I don't see that being a problem, and 4 inches should be fine. I would keep the extension to a minimumOriginally posted by Grtiz View PostLes,
You think it would be fine even if it is suspended up that high off the ground? Any thoughts on a safe thickness of the suspended slab? I wouldn't think that the same 4" hearth slab would be necessary but I could be wrong.
Leave a comment:





Leave a comment: