Stucco Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stucco Recipe

Last edited by Annie M.; 12-08-2014, 04:20 PM.

Re: Stucco Recipe

Originally posted by Annie M. View Post
    I need a stucco recipe... I keep looking at stucco threads but it seems that everybody knows what comprises stucco but me

I have left over from the construction of my oven... hydrated lime, cement, beach full of extra fine sand, cliffs of clay and a tap that streams beautiful clean water... I assume that if I can put some of these together in some way I will have stucco.

Thanks!!

Oven done... she's square and she works like a charm
    Found this online

How to Mix Stucco: 8 Tips | DoItYourself.com

It has dash, scratch, brown and finish coat mixtures.
    Last edited by mrchipster; 07-10-2013, 06:31 AM.
    Chip

Comment

If you use beach sand you are going to have a rustic primitive mess. Beach sand has too much salt in it to use, unless, of course, you are on a freshwater beach. If not, use sand from as high as possible and skim off just the top inch or 2" of sand to use.

Basic stucco:

Scratch and brown coats: 1 part portland, 1 part lime, 5-6 parts sand, less if fine, more if coarse. Stucco fibers if you can find them.

Finish coat: 1 part portland, 2 parts lime, 4-5 parts fine sand.

The scratchcoat is to give body to the stucco, 1/2-3/4" thick do not worry out how smooth it is, make it rough. The brown coat is to get the stucco more or less smooth, scratch it lightly for final coat adhesion (3/8 to a 1/2" thick). The finish coat is put on thin, 1/4-3/8" and should be as smooth as you want to make it.

Comment

I followed david s's recipe of 1 part cement, 1 part hydrated lime, 4 parts sand. The extra lime helps with water resistance, or so I'm told. I only did two layers. If I'd wanted a smoother finish, I think more layers would be required, but I was planning on putting tiles on to finish, and so didn't bother.

You may want to lay hands on some white portland cement if you can for the finish coat--stucco made with gray portland comes out looking like a block of concrete, while stucco made with white portland looks roughly like the color of your sand.

The lathe helps give the stucco something to hang onto, and helps prevent cracks. You can use chicken wire or any other kind of metal mesh. It might be frustrating getting the stucco onto the side walls of the oven without it.

Nylon reinforcing fibers are another great product if you can lay hands on them--I did everything wrong with my stucco in terms of discouraging cracks, but I've seen nary a crack thanks to the fibers (I think). You can order such things online for not too much money, I believe.
        Last edited by rsandler; 07-10-2013, 07:22 AM.
        My build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/3...-dc-18213.html

Comment

Over clean cinder block, I've plastered a mix of white thinset and exterior grade latex paint for the liquid and color. No thicker than a quarter inch and it holds up well to outside use. No lath, no portland, just thinset and paint, the thinset has a bit of glue added at the compounding yard, it sticks well to cement blocks and things with a bit of a porous surface.

Comment

Originally posted by stormy View Post
            Over clean cinder block, I've plastered a mix of white thinset and exterior grade latex paint for the liquid and color. No thicker than a quarter inch and it holds up well to outside use. No lath, no portland, just thinset and paint, the thinset has a bit of glue added at the compounding yard, it sticks well to cement blocks and things with a bit of a porous surface.
            stucco will stick to cinderblock or untreated concrete w/no lath. Wood, insulation, etc need lath to bond to and provide structure.
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Working...
            X