How your insulation should work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How your insulation should work

I cooked 8 pizzas on Saturday, July 13 at about 7:30PM. I burned the oven for about an hour and a half before that, less than 2 cuft of wood, and kept the coals and flames going while I cooked for another hour. Today at about 7:30PM, I shot the oven with my gun at 130+ degrees. That is 5 days with 6 inches of rain and about an 85 degree average ambient temperature. You can never have too much insulation.

Re: How your insulation should work

Interesting! I had to check mine when I saw your post. I cooked 4 pizzas on Saturday night. Didn't pay particular attention to putting the door on because I didn't plan to cook anything the next day. Ambient temps are, um, a bit cooler here (nights in the fifties this week). Just checked and the oven is at 122.
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

The photo and my thumbnail....

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
        I cooked 8 pizzas on Saturday, July 13 at about 7:30PM. I burned the oven for about an hour and a half before that, less than 2 cuft of wood, and kept the coals and flames going while I cooked for another hour. Today at about 7:30PM, I shot the oven with my gun at 130+ degrees. That is 5 days with 6 inches of rain and about an 85 degree average ambient temperature. You can never have too much insulation.
        That's great, but if you're not using that oven heat, then thers's little point. Hoped you cooked lots in the 5 days.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

With no door on I am at about 250 degrees (Fahrenheit!) 24 hours after firing. This weekend I will be building a door and I will put it on right after firing on Sunday night and see how that changes things!

Comment

I didn't cook anything after pizza or the temps would have been lower. I usually get at least one more days cook out of it though.

Comment

I fired the oven this morning , it was still 20 degrees above ambient a full 7 days later.

Comment

A big chunk of dead cow, a couple of drunk chickens and some corn put in at a little over 400 degrees. That should get it down to 300 pretty quick.

Comment

Beautiful, as usual, hope all is well, Tom.

Comment

I have not done a full degrading temp check lately because of cooking. Well... I guess that is why I am not losing any weight.
                    Chip

Comment

Just checked mine earlier today...160* after three days. We cooked ribs in a a large cast iron pan on day one, otherwise it would probably been higher.

I don't have one of those heat guns, this was taken with an old gauge from a gas grill.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

All is well Derk, thank you for asking. I still have a tad of honey, but am thinking about doing some mead. What you you charge me for like a gallon of your wonderful honey?

Cooking in the oven sucks the heat plus opening and closing the door lowers it further. My extreme temps are only in an oven that is doored off except for when measuring the temp.

Comment

I posted this some time back but it seems relevant to this thread. Insulation matters! It was in April so the ambient temps were most likely cold.

I wanted to document my temps, when I get asked, I never remember all the numbers.

Saturday at 6:30 PM after the fire; hearth=900 deg.
                          Saturday at 8:00 PM after pizzas; hearth=555 deg.
                          Sunday at 9:00 AM hearth=447 deg. - cooked a coffee cake
                          Sunday at 4:30 PM hearth=374 deg. - cooked coconut shrimp
                          Monday at 6:30 AM hearth=288 deg.
                          Monday at 4:45 PM hearth=244 deg.
                          Tuesday at 4:45 PM hearth=170 deg.

As you can tell, we didn't do much cooking, but the oven appears to be retaining heat fairly well (I think).
                          Check out my pictures here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Piling on here....

after installing my insulated door (which made a world of difference)

I am at 200 degrees Fahrenheit after 4 days -sweet!!

Comment

Working...
                            X