Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Relocateable Oven With Wooden Stand- Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Relocateable Oven With Wooden Stand- Ideas?

Hello,

I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks now and am grateful for the amount of information I've been able to glean from everyone's posts.

I'm starting a 36" Pompeii in North Vancouver, Canada, and have a question about stand design.

I'm in a rental house at the moment and would like to be able to relocate my oven when I move in 1-2 years. My best idea for a relocatable oven would use a stand made out of wood so I could support the dome and remove the legs from the stand when it came time to relocate.

My idea was to use a 4x4 post at each corner with a 4x4 across the top of the 2 posts on each side, then install 2x6 joists on hangers @8" centers to span between the 2 post assemblies. I would then cut a sheet of 3/4 ply in half and fasten both sheets (1 1/2"x 4'x4') to my base. I would have to brace the legs top to bottom for lateral stability, and I thought I could use 1x6 or similar.

Questions:

Has anyone tried to build a dome on a wooden stand before?
    Would the layer of vermiculite concrete be enough insulation between the cooking floor and the plywood, or would I need another insulating layer? Pavers?
    Will the dome fall apart if I try to move it?
    Would anyone care to comment on my potential stand design?

As this is my first attempt, I'm trying to minimize my costs so a wooden stand would also be much more economical from a cost perspective.

Thanks for taking the time to read and I'll be sure to post up photos once I get started.

Jesse

Re: Relocateable Oven With Wooden Stand- Ideas?

I might look towards building it on a trailer, like a mobile oven......How would you pick up something that weighs 700-800lbs. or more? Do you have a fork lift or a tractor with forks? The cost in moving it might negate the cost of the trailer, and possibly its strucural integrity....JMO
    " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

I considered a trailer, but I wouldn't be able to get it out of the backyard when it came time to move.

The plan would be to support the oven on jacks, remove the legs, and lower it onto a HD dolly to get it out of the yard, then jack it back up and into a truck or onto a trailer.

Anyone have any comments about placing the vermiculite concrete directly on plywood? Would there be much/any heat transfer through the insulating layer to the ply?

Comment

I suppose that, in theory, it could work......But, you will need at least 4" of vermicrete under the floor........it is not known for structure,only compressive strength. I would tend to go with a 2" cal-sil board. Then, what are you going to clad the oven with? Is the stand on a hard surface or dirt? I think if it were me I would look into some of the Forno Brava smaller units and a metal stand....I know you said cost is primary,but, you might spend half as much as a bought stove and end up with a pile of rubble. Here is a thread of interest http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/f...oven-1958.html ..........Igloo? If it is on a wooden base and the oven is exposed to rain, the water will run down and suck up into your floor insulation....Perhaps a "doghouse" over the whole thing....there is a lot of things to consider...Maybe just build a "mud" oven for not much money.......then leave it....good luck! Here is something that I would consider http://www.fornobravo.com/store/Giar...-Oven-Kit.html very movable and close to cost of building one your self....and , you still get to build it.....
        Last edited by thickstrings; 07-24-2013, 09:07 AM.
        " Life is art, live a masterpiece"

Comment

hi sorry for shorthand reply fr my ipad, flat on my back sick
          i m building almost identical
          i have one oven in yard, one on trailer i run commercially daily
          and building 3rd on wooden platform, same design you describe
          build the center like a pallet
          and move it with a pallet jack (mine lifts 5500 lbs)
          lay a sheet of 3/4 plywood on dirt or grass
          two sheets one after the other you can go pretty much anywhere
          good luck with your build!

Comment

I built a 36 inch brick oven with the intention of moving it when we purchased our future house.

I wouldn't recomend a wooden base. I used stout steel for a base. It was still light enough to manuver with one person.

Years later we finally purchased our dream house and moved it with a bobcat type forklift and flat bed trailer. Very stressfull, but it did make the journey safely to its new home.

Here is a couple of pics...

Comment

Look around in the forums. There is at least one other build (maybe more) that used a wooden stand for just the reasons you are considering. AFAIK, they didn't have any issues.

edit: found examples
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/b...6-a-19911.html
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/r...res-19107.html

If I were doing this, I'd think about setting a strong concrete slab over the wood and building on top of that. The slab would give you a strong base on which to move the oven, and could be put onto a permanent stand when the time comes. Obviously it adds weight, but I don't know that you're really going to get a great result if you're concentrating on making an oven light...
              Last edited by deejayoh; 12-03-2013, 11:31 AM.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Make one out of 4x4. It doesn't get cheaper than that.
                Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                John Ruskin

Comment

My issue with the wooden base is the oven will easily live 100+ years, and a wooden base is succumb to the elements/termites and will fail well before the oven does. You then got 1000+ plus pounds of concrete and brick haphazardly floating 3 feet in the air.

Any repairs to the aging base would be dangerous and would require rigging the oven itself.
                  Last edited by michelevit; 12-03-2013, 11:59 AM.

Comment

here is the oven being gingerly moved to its new home.

Comment

The op asked the question back in July so whatever was done is done. But if I wanted something temporary, I wouldn't hesitate to build a wood stand. Termites don't eat pt and something almost as sure as death is the fact that no oven built today will be the same in 100 years.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                      John Ruskin

Comment

I was thinking the wooded base would exist as the temporary and permanent stand.

For a temporary stand would would def be ok.

Permanent - wood not OK.

Comment

How about a solid wood base (like a huge tree stump?)

Comment

Working...
                          X