Built a Brickwood Oven, Now what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Built a Brickwood Oven, Now what?

I'm planning on closing the current flue, adding an external arch at 64% and putting the flue on the external arch (the reveal). This is how it looks on most of the pictures I've seen on here. I've already tore down the current chimney and am planning on capping the current flue today.

Comment

Originally posted by pastorryanhayden View Post
      In the above drawing the oven inside height is 17in. The reveal height is 11. 64%.
      I'm confused about the flue dimensions though. Could you clarify?
      The general answer for flue size of an oven is to plan on a main cross-section flue area 10% of the area of your oven's opening. It is also good practice to include a collection area for the smoke entering into the main flue...acts as a funnel. There is a discussion on flue sizing in the following link (pg 2, post 20 specifically) for the 10% rule of thumb. Be aware, that if you add a chimney cap with a spark arrester you will be reducing the flue area outflow. The 10% is when the flue is unrestricted at the top. If you are going to add an air flow restricting chimney cap, you could get some smoke coming out of the front of the oven even if the flue is sized correctly.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/v...help-6344.html

Hope that helps...I also seem to remember there was a spreadsheet calculator for chimney draft available in the forum on one of the older threads. Found it: Here's the thread link...

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/chimney-flow-rate-calculator-3905.html"

Make sure you go to the last page with the most recent update of the zipped Excel spreadsheet.
      Last edited by SableSprings; 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM.
      Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
      Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
      Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
      Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am building the same oven (Mattone Barile Grande) , the same way you have done. Why not simply just add firebrick up front to close off the front by 40 percent? That is what I am doing now. All yo need is a few more firebrick and some mortar. Check out their instructions on the oven build sheet. Seems like the cheapest and most obvious solution to me. The front can be closed off at any time.

Comment

Originally posted by Scope1 View Post
          I am building the same oven (Mattone Barile Grande) , the same way you have done. Why not simply just add firebrick up front to close off the front by 40 percent? That is what I am doing now. All yo need is a few more firebrick and some mortar. Check out their instructions on the oven build sheet. Seems like the cheapest and most obvious solution to me. The front can be closed off at any time.
          If I understand your comment, the reason not to do this is because your flue is behind your door. When you close up the oven, all the heat you are trying to retain will just go up the chimney.

The ovens perform better if the flue is outside the oven in front of the 63% height entry arch. They will heat up better and the heat is retained when you close up the entry arch with a door.

Edit: this may help - How a brick oven works (pdf)
          Last edited by deejayoh; 10-02-2014, 11:00 AM.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hi,
            I've had my oven for well over a year and let me tell you what I did. I filled the chimney, closed off the front at about 63% and then built a chimney in front of the door. The result is ugly as homemade soup, but it works MUCH better than it did before.
            If you are still building it, I would highly recommend you ignore the chimney from the kit altogether and plan on building a hood in the front. You'll get much better results. I'll post pictures later when I get some time.

Comment

Thanks pastor and deejayoh for your comments. Well I am almost done with the original build of my Brickwood Mattone Grande with fiber blanket. I have also closed off about 40% of the face of the oven with firebrick as per their instructions. I REALLY hesitate to tear down the chimney like you pastor....it just looks too pretty the way it is.

I understand the concept of losing the heat up the flue when trying to retain heat while cooking meats ,baking bread and smoking. I don't think that the flue heat loss would be a problem when making pizza especially when the front door is wide open.

I am a simple kind of guy and I like simple solutions. It seems to me that the simplest solution when baking and cooking meats with the door closed, would be to just temporarily unscrew the Dura-Vent chimney cap and cover the opening with 2 firebricks.... that should stop the heat loss. A slightly more complicated solution would be to install a damper under the chimney cap. Does this sound reasonable?

Of course I have never cooked in a wood fired oven yet so I don't know for sure if this would actually work. I'll let you know when I fire it up in about a month.

Comment

Working...
              X