Chimney at the back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chimney at the back

Hi all, a question on a chimney. I started a build for an oven and after getting the base done and when I was about to start on the dome, I was offered a poured refractory concrete dome from a friend to drop into place to speed up my build.

Unfortunately the dome comes with a chimney... at the back, which I know is not the design that is recommended. To the credit of the guy who poured it, it is 1/3 the way down the back of the dome, so at the same height of the door entrance.

I estimate I can plug the chimney with firebrick, mortared in with high-temp mortar, and extend the entrance a little to add a chimney; When I insulate and brick over it, it should just seal it up.

Otherwise since the chimney is 1/3 the way down the side of the dome, if I 'plug' the door after I light the fire it will still get a roll on the fire around the dome before the heat goes up the chimney... although I'm not sure this will work.

Any comments, or suggestions for those who have had to deal with this issue?

Re: Chimney at the back

can you post some pics of the oven you are describing?

Texman
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Originally posted by noremacc View Post

I estimate I can plug the chimney with firebrick, mortared in with high-temp mortar, and extend the entrance a little to add a chimney;
      I don't see why this approach wouldn't work.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

With a chimney at the rear the flames will head straight for the flue exit without rolling around the dome. Having the flue at the front, independent from the oven allows the flames to circulate inside the dome much better, resulting in more even heat up, better circulation and more economical fuel use. Also without a damper you won't be able to do retained heat baking and roast very well because the heat will be lost out the flue. Your idea of blocking off the rear flue and building a gallery and flue at the front is a good one. Try to make the flue shallow so it makes the oven easier to work.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
          can you post some pics of the oven you are describing?

Texman
          I'm getting the oven on Friday so will post a few pics then. It will need a bit of work, but less than building from scratch.

Comment

Texman, I posted the pics in a new thread as it also had some other air channels in the bottom firebrick layer I hadn't seen before.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/a...tml#post159576

Comment

Working...
            X