Vermiculite or Perlite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vermiculite or Perlite?

Hi, I'm about to start building the heart and I would like to know if is any difference between the two.
    Thanks.

Re: Vermiculite or Perlite?

Perlite is a better insulator although once you add cement the difference is marginal. I prefer vermiculite to mix because it mixes up better than perlite and doesn't contain that fine irritating dust that perlite does. I find a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and perlite makes up a more workable mix than either of them alone.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
      Perlite is a better insulator although once you add cement the difference is marginal. I prefer vermiculite to mix because it mixes up better than perlite and doesn't contain that fine irritating dust that perlite does. I find a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and perlite makes up a more workable mix than either of them alone.
      Thanks!
      I found both in a plant nursery, and I think I will go for a 50/50mix.

Comment

although once you add cement the difference is marginal.
        To do the heart, I thought I was supposed to mix the perlite with concrete, now I'm confused

Comment

Originally posted by martin_80x View Post
          To do the heart, I thought I was supposed to mix the perlite with concrete, now I'm confused
          Cement is the grey powdery stuff. Concrete is a mix of cement, sand and aggregate
          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

you want portland cement for your mix-Type 1. you can get it at home depot/lowes.

Mix it in large pans or wheelbarrow at about 6:1 (vemi/per to portland) I will have to look at the water required, but enough to make it sticky like oatmeal is how i did it. HTH

Texman
            Texman Kitchen
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

I found perlite to be half the cost of vermiculite. YMMV

Comment

Working...
              X