Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air channels in the floor and chimney in the back...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air channels in the floor and chimney in the back...

Following up on a post I did last week, but now a little more complicated. I have been given a dome to jump start my construction and it seems to have air channels built into the bottom layer of the 3 layers of firebrick that allows airflow to pull from under the slab, along the floor and up into the chamber at the sides in two spots. It is a quite inventive way to pull air in with the door closed. There is 2 more firebrick layers on top of the channels, which I am rebuilding now as they were disturbed during the move.

I can't find much or any writings on the airflow built into the base to allow air to get into the dome, except maybe a rocket type design. Anyone have any experience on this?

There is also a chimney, set into and at the back of the dome. Im thinking of just blocking the chimney when I insulate and brick the outside, but not sure if because the chimney is set down a little I will get the fire roll or just massive heat loss anyways. Again, any thoughts on this?

I'll post a few pics, but I can't workout how to do more than one at a time on the iPad.

Re: Air channels in the floor and chimney in the back...

This is The inside air channels on the bottom of the 3 layers of the firebrick. The channel exits out the base of the slab at the back and on the middle 2nd layer of firebricks on the base there is a 3"x3" hole cut into the bricks to allow airflow up into the dome.

Comment

Last image, you can see the chimney through the door, which is at the same height at the door. The tip layer of firebrick isn't on yet, just one brick.

Comment

I'm not sure why you would even want to pull air in when the door is closed. The two main reasons to close up an oven are to keep the heat from escaping or to damper off the draw to slow down a burn.

I'm thinking this was built by a mason that has built Fireplaces with fresh air intakes. This feature wouldn't really be practical on a WFO except maybe during initial firing, but then, the oven openings are more than sufficient for that.

Also, a rear exhaust for the flue will let a lot of the heat out during the start up too. If it was mine, I would close off the rear flue and put one in the vent area, and block up the air intakes.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Ok-now I see your project.

Just plug the old rear chimney/flu and build a new front vent and flue. I think someone suggested tapering the plug, which I would second that motion. You don't need the air channels-can you just reset floor and make it level to fill dome floor? you can control the air with the door.

It looks like a brick oven with stucco, is that correct?
          Is the pic in the old location or as it is for your construction?

Texman
          Texman Kitchen
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Sorry for the slow reply, been working on the wfo!

Yes, I am resetting the floor and will cut some tapered bricks to plug the chimney for now.

It is a poured dome, not sure of the material. Some type of concrete but hope there is some sort of pearlite or similar in it. I am planning to insulate and stucco. The location is the final resting place - it is up at th cabin so have to workout how to fire it up with the fireban in place.

Comment

Originally posted by noremacc View Post
              but hope there is some sort of pearlite or similar in it.
              You dont want pearlite in the thermal mass.
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Working...
              X