Door design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door design

I've just been revamping a cast iron pizza oven / chimnea / BBQ - because with kids running around I found the exterior far too hot to be safe. Plus, in Pizza mode, it was actually hotter outside some of the wall than inside.

I'd insulated the inside with 7:1 vermiculite (grade 4, I couldn't get grade 3) and Portland cement, then skinned the internal fire surfaces with heat resistant screed from everbuild. That all worked well, but I hadn't sorted the oven door.

For a trial, I'm astonished because it worked, I did this for the door.
    1) Made a thin plywood shape to loosely fit the closure.
    2) Took three sheets of ordinary kitchen tin foil and wrapped them round just the inside face of the door.
    3) Held that lot together by smearing about 5mm fire resistant heat curing cement around the profile.
    4) Pressed that assembly into an existing bent metal frame.

After 30 minutes of fire temperature above 550 C, the external ply temp was 70C. After a couple of hours, it was still fine. Next morning, the door is completely OK. The tin foil interior has a slight nick where I caught it throwing some wood in, but is otherwise perfect.

It's not pretty, I'm not proud of it, but its a start!

I've learnt some stuff about the materials and will build a Pompeii style oven. This one still takes 3 minutes a pizza, and is a bit sooty early on in a fires life!
    Coastman

Re: Door design

Originally posted by Coastman View Post
    I'd insulated the inside with 7:1 vermiculite (grade 4, I couldn't get grade 3) and Portland cement, then skinned the internal fire surfaces with heat resistant screed from everbuild.
    Well its different I must say and if its cooking pizza its a bonus.

I must say Im surprised though with the insulation being on the inside of an oven.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Re: Door design

It's not quite like that really. It can be thought of like this...
      Fire, heat resist screed, insulation, then instead of a weather proof rendering, a cast iron outer! But I already had the outer!
      Coastman

Comment

Working...
      X