Question on oven floor design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on oven floor design

I have seen pictures of the oven dome soldier course placed on top of the cooking floor, and on diameter (circumference). I understand that it is preference and if you want to replace any part of the cooking floor it is best to put the soldier course around the circumference. That is my intent.

My Question is: Is it OK to start the soldier course standing on top of the Insulation layer next to the cooking floor circumference or should I do something else? Will the mortor adhere to the Insulating Layer (FB Insulation)?

Re: Question on oven floor design

"Is it OK to start the soldier course standing on top of the Insulation layer next to the cooking floor circumference?"
    - YES
    You want to avoid getting mortar in contact with the FB. The FB sucks all of the moisture out of the mortar very quickly. Do your best to only mortar the soldiers to each other and to the first row. The weight of the dome will keep them very firmly pressed down!

Comment

Originally posted by keytech View Post

My Question is: Is it OK to start the soldier course standing on top of the Insulation layer
      Just to elaborate a bit. It is almost mandatory that the brick sit on the insulation. If not, the hearth will act as a heatsink.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Ok. Got it. Thanks for the bit of detail on the application of Mortor.

Comment

sorry dont know how to post new topic of my own.
          Have built base blocks and about to work on floor and inner arch, question that confusses me is do I mortor arch to insuation or as per floor or just to itself and leave 1st arch brick just sitting there
          barhen its beeen a long time

Comment

Hi barhen

when you go to "Forums", and then you pick a category (like "Pompeii Oven Design") you will see a blue button near the top left called "New Thread".

In my opinion there is never a reason to try to mortar bricks to insulation.... Mortar bricks to each other and even better make sure the bricks 'lock' together so the mortar is the 'filler' and not the 'glue.' You will find a beautiful brick oven on this site that uses no mortar!

Also please post pictures! After you start your own thread you can ask for help with pictures of you need it. Good luck!

Comment

Hi

I agree boerwarrier. I have done this with mine. The mortar is a filler at rear only. Takes a bloody long time to achieve but I feel worth the effort. Rear gaps only 3-5mm mostly. Hopefully like les bricks will find there own happy place
              Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

A good idea is to soak your fire brick in water. This prevents them from sucking away the moisture in the mortar.

Comment

Be careful, the bricks should not be completely soaked in water or you may have trouble with the mortar adhering. They should be still partly porous so the mortar will bond.
                  Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

"This prevents them from sucking away the moisture in the mortar."

Except this is exactly what you WANT them to. That is the process that provides bond between the mortar and the brick. Saturated surface dry is the technical term for the amount of moisture you want in the brick. If they have a sheen or will not accept more water, do not use them until they dry out some.

Comment

i usually soak until they stop bubbling.
                      'boiling the bricks'

Comment

Working...
                      X