Is Cladding necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Cladding necessary?

I'm curious if cladding is a necessary element of barrel vault ovens? If you're not going to build housing around the oven, could you instead just get away with several layers of ceramic blanket?

Re: Is Cladding necessary?

Originally posted by filmost View Post
    I'm curious if cladding is a necessary element of barrel vault ovens? If you're not going to build housing around the oven, could you instead just get away with several layers of ceramic blanket?
    The problem with barrels is the sideways thrust of the roof on the walls, you need to counter this with some apposing thrust, some use concrete but end up with too much thermal mass.

I used the weight of the brick chimney to counter the sideways thrust on mine.

Blanket alone wont cut it.
    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

You probably allready understand it, but the cladding is for constructional purposes and the blankets are for insulation. It will depend on your design if you need cladding. Some people use steel reinforcements for instance. I can even imagine that you can build a barrel that is self supporting (if you are not using a first row that stands up right).

I suggest you post a picture of what you have in mind wich will make it easier for people to give you a very exact answer.

Greetings

Comment

It's necessary on the walls (not the vault roof) for structural soundness as brickie says.

having said that - you don't HAVE to use concrete as the structural support.
        ...you could use something like insulating firebricks for example.

or

you could use 25mm of fibre-board insulation against the walls, and then pour your concrete support...
        -------------------------------------------
        My 2nd Build:
        Is here

Comment

Thanks for the info everyone. Sorry I disappeared from the forums for awhile. Definitely understand the idea behind cladding now, thanks!

I am guessing sicne it is not necessary on the top, that I could just pour the support around the sdies and the nuse a blanket on top?

Comment

Don't forget a blanket on the sides.You need it there too.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtwacht View Post
              Don't forget a blanket on the sides.You need it there too.
              So blanket the entire thing AND add cladding to the sides?

Comment

Originally posted by filmost View Post
                So blanket the entire thing AND add cladding to the sides?
                Yes, but the other way around.

If you first put a blanket around the oven, your cladding will not give any support to the oven (since the blanket easily copacts)

First make a structural sound oven, then a blanket around it.

Comment

Originally posted by nachtwacht View Post
                  Yes, but the other way around.

If you first put a blanket around the oven, your cladding will not give any support to the oven (since the blanket easily copacts)

First make a structural sound oven, then a blanket around it.
                  Okie doke got it!

Comment

Working...
                  X