Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Tuscan oven build in Tampa Florida

Greetings from Sunny Florida,

I've started my Tuscan style oven build, the decision to build a Tuscan style oven was an easy one, this will be an igloo style oven finished with tile, I'm very limited by space. That being said, I'm trying to decide where to place my oven. I have a pool screen cage inclosure and a very small back yard that has lots of tropical vegetation, palms and such. I'm trying to decide where to place this oven and make its foot print as small as I can. A 34 or 36" oven is as big as I can fit. What is the minimum working area that I can use to place this oven and have it functional?

I want to pour the oven slab top just big enough to sit the oven on and have a small lip surrounding the oven to facilitate lifting points to move the oven at a later time.

So,,,, here we go!!! Any design help is greatly appreciated!
    Schmitz

Re: New Tuscan oven build in Tampa Florida

Welcome Schmitzfl!

for a 34 inch oven the minimum width of your stand can be calculated by:
    - 34 inches interior
    - 9 inches for the walls (2 x 4.5 inches)
    - 6 inches for exterior insulation (2 x 3 inches minimum)
    - 1 inch for an exterior wall (if you go with something thin like fiberboard.

Adding it all up means that you need a stand 50 inches wide - at least. Front to back you will need more than 50 inches depending on how large you want your entryway.

Good luck! Please post pictures! They help a lot!
    Neil

Comment

To add to this: If you go with a prefab oven, the footprint will be smaller. It only amounts to inches, but if space is an absolute premium, it may be an option.
      Check out my pictures here:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Another comment here, Schmitzfl,

you mentioned you may want to move it in the future. If you build it yourself, I don't know how you can get away with less than about four thousand pounds for the base (which you must move with it), the dome, the housing and the chimney structure. That is not going to be easy to move!! Actually it might be impossible to move.

If moving it is high on your priority list then I second Les' idea: Go with a pre-fab oven. Forno Bravo makes great ones!!

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
          Another comment here, Schmitzfl,

you mentioned you may want to move it in the future. If you build it yourself, I don't know how you can get away with less than about four thousand pounds for the base (which you must move with it), the dome, the housing and the chimney structure. That is not going to be easy to move!! Actually it might be impossible to move.

If moving it is high on your priority list then I second Les' idea: Go with a pre-fab oven. Forno Bravo makes great ones!!
          First, The base is made of mortice and tenon 4x6 pressure treated lumber, very strong and light.
          Second, The slab is made of high strength light weight concrete with lots of re-bar.
          Third, The kits are too expensive.
          Fourth, Lots of refractory insulation to save on weight.

And the most important factor,,, It's gonna be hard and people say it can't be done!
          Schmitz

Comment

high strength light weight concrete...

Can you let us know what kind of concrete you are using? I wasn't aware there was a light weight version of concrete.
            My build:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/d...ild-20119.html

Comment

Working...
            X