Bevel Cuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bevel Cuts

Admittedly, I'm a little thick when it comes to visualizing in 3-D, but I am confused about cutting bevels for the dome bricks. Is the bevel cut made on the side of the brick that faces into the oven?

Some of the angles that I see for those bevels are pretty exacting. How do you correctly calculate those angles using a homemade wooden jig?
    Mark in Sandy Springs, GA

Re: Bevel Cuts

Originally posted by SandySpringsPizza View Post
    Is the bevel cut made on the side of the brick that faces into the oven?
    No, the cuts are on the sides. The interior angle is controlled by raising the back of the brick. You could cut this angle but its not required.
    Some of the angles that I see for those bevels are pretty exacting. How do you correctly calculate those angles using a homemade wooden jig?
    Some have posted the exact angles required and built jigs to hold the brick to the angle. I just used a shim and made many trips up and down (and wasted brick) to get them to fit.
    Last edited by Les; 11-23-2013, 05:52 PM.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post

Some have posted the exact angles required and built jigs to hold the brick to the angle. I just used a shim and made many trips up and down (and wasted brick) to get them to fit.
      Yes many trips........estimate the angle on the lesser and keep increasing till you achieve the correct angle, less wasted bricks.
      Last edited by kbartman; 11-23-2013, 06:00 PM.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

I just held each brick in my hand and carefully rotated it against the turning blade in order to cut each bevel. For radius cuts I drug brick face across the side of the blade to achieve the proper depth. After cutting a few bricks' bevels on each course it became easier to just 'eye' the cuts. I was able to get by with just one pass on a good number of bricks but the majority required me to go back to the saw for a second or third pass.

Of course this approach demands a very sharp blade or it will wobble and want to grab the brick.

Comment

if you want guidance on beveling bricks, here are two threads with tried and true jig designs:

Chipster jig http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ble-16780.html

Hendo's twist and tilt http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...tilt-2802.html

Also, see the spreadsheet in my sig if you want an easy source to calculate all the angles
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Deejayoh, I have poured over your charts and re-read your posts. How were you able to set the angles on your jig? Guesswork, some kind of angle device?

Comment

Get one of these (what I used)
              Multipurpose Angle Finder

or if you want to get fancy, one of these

16" Digital Angle Level
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

thank you. I remember seeing that at HF.

Comment

Working...
                X