Back of arch.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back of arch.

I haven't started my build yet but I like to try to plan ahead! Do I need to cut the back of the bricks which forms my arch to accommodate the dome as it rises or is it ok to butt the dome bricks to the arch bricks? If it is better to cut the back of the brick is there an easy way to measure them or is it a case of using my eye?

Re: Back of arch.

It is not necessary, but it makes it easier to build the courses that transition into the arch.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

No eye needed just a pencil and a IT.

Attached is a picture of Utah Beehiver's build. There are many good ideas found on this forum: here is a link to some of the best.http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html
      Last edited by kbartman; 12-19-2013, 03:52 AM.
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Thanks for that stonecutter and KB ! I thought that the IT would be the thing, I'm trying to decide whether to use one or forms.....

Comment

PS hope the info helps.
          Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

It does thank you very much, KB I was struggling to picture it in my head !!

Comment

Bo,

I was not the pioneer on tapered inner arch. It is well work the effort. Go to this link by Gianni Foccacia. I studied GF's extensively to make sure I understood the concept of cutting bricks for a tapered arch. I do have quite a few pic in my picassa album that shows the sequence too. Feel free to ask any questions.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/oc...tml#post111125

Good luck with your wfo endeavor..............
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hey Bo,

There's an easy way to determine the angles of your inner arch so that it matches your domes inner profile. An added bonus is that it also identifies the optimum distance from center to place your inner arch.

The accompanying photos should explain how it works, but the arch's lower inside angle is derived from the top of the 'arch' template, and the arch's upper inside angle is identified by pulling a string (red line) to the top of the brick just outside the dome.

There's some more photos on my build thread OctoForno, but if you have questions, just holler.

John

Comment

I'm a pictorial type of guy. Pictures in the different builds gave me a path to follow. I thank all those whom posted many pictures. The builds that had albums that could be easily clicked thru showed me the most. As soon as I have time to figure out how to create a album that can be easily clicked thru, I will post my build pics to also help those whom are pictorial as myself. Good luck on your build.
                  Respectfully,

KB

My build

Comment

Thanks to you all for your help and good wishes guys, it is really appreciated. Take care.

Comment

Working...
                    X