Steel Stand size for 36" oven ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Stand size for 36" oven ?

We will be having a steel stand made by a welder buddy and are not sure of the size it should be.I initially am thinking of having it built 48"w x 48"h x 48"d for my 36" oven build ?! It will also have heavy duty casters on it so we can center the oven on our deck when using it. Any input out there ?! We are also not sure of the approximate weight of the 36" pompeii build.Wish we had some backyard space to build the traditional oven like the ones we see on this great site !

Re: Steel Stand size for 36" oven ?

Check it out very carefully. Most ovens are really heavy and likely to exceed the load that your deck was designed to carry. A concrete supporting slab for a 36" oven probably weighs in around 300 kgs alone, add on the weight of the bricks and mortar, stand, outer shell, etc. etc. Regarding the stand, same applies, make it way sturdier than you would think. Include diagonals or gussets.
    Last edited by david s; 01-09-2014, 05:12 PM.
    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

I plan on pouring a 2" thick slab on top of the stand (top of the stand will be a have a "trough" 3" deep) and placing the oven on that.Will that not suffice for a base ? I magine that won't weigh more than a 100 or so lbs.

Comment

When it comes to amateur design and construction there is no such thing as anything being over-designed or over-specification.

You are dealing with a lot of weight and if things go wrong, they will go wrong big time.

Just my humble opinion.
        Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosGregory View Post
          I plan on pouring a 2" thick slab on top of the stand (top of the stand will be a have a "trough" 3" deep) and placing the oven on that.Will that not suffice for a base ? I magine that won't weigh more than a 100 or so lbs.
          Don't know what area you plan on, but 2" slab is pretty thin. You will have to ensure it is well reinforced and has plenty of bracing underneath.

Comment

When you say deck are you talking about a classic wooden deck off the ground? If so, you really have to consider exactly where on the deck and what kind of load it can support. This will be especially true if you use casters. The casters really concentrate the force/weight and are more suitable for a concrete pad than a wood deck. I used casters in my design, but would not recommend them, and probably would not use them if I were to rebuild my oven. The casters are good if you have a person in the family that wants to see how things look in a lot of different locations :-) Also, if you build a decent metal stand, I see know reason to pour a concrete slab on top of it. You can either build the stand with a steel base or just use a cement board base. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I suspect my 36" is well over 1000 lbs without the stand. According to the site, the 36" Pompeii kit is 1600 lbs.

Pompeii90
              120 9”x4.5”x2.5” firebricks;
              4 18”x18”x2” floor tiles
              110 lbs. high temperature, waterproof mortar (FB Mortar) Two 50 sq ft 1” insulating blankets (FB Blanket)
              Three 24”x36”x2” insulating boards (FB Board)
              Weight: about 1,600 pounds

If you need to keep the weight down look at the modular kits.

For example, the 36" Casa2G90 is listed at 825 lbs.
              Last edited by Bec1208; 01-09-2014, 09:44 PM. Reason: Finish post
              Link to my build here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosGregory View Post
                A 2" concrete slab 48x48" weighs in over 200lbs plus the weight of your steel stand before adding the weight of the oven.

Comment

A 2" slab is way too thin, but will still weigh about 400lbs. Everything I've read says at least 4-5" plus rebar. Use one of the online calculators from lowes or quikcrete to calculate this for you.
                  Add in the 1600lb oven, plus stucco, etc., and you are somewhere north of 2500lbs plus the steel stand. Call it 3000lbs to be safe, and all this weight concentrated on 4 casters.

That is a lot of weight for a deck to hold for any period of time, especially if placed between joists or under an area without a lot of support.

Is there not a place in your yard where you have 25 square feet available? That would be much safer and give you more peace of mind.
                  My build:

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/d...ild-20119.html

Comment

Originally posted by ncsmoker View Post
                    A 2" slab is way too thin, but will still weigh about 400lbs
                    It's actually just over 300 lbs, but as you don't need too much strength towards the outside and not so much in the middle it is possible to construct a slab that is 3" thick where the strength is required and much thinner where it's not. Reducing the area also drastically reduces the overall weight. Reinforcement is vital.

Don't write the idea off, you just have to make the oven small. My own oven weighs 500 lbs (sorry 551 to be more accurate) incl. supporting slab, but not the stand. That's the equivalent of two big blokes standing together on your deck having a drink.
                    Last edited by david s; 01-19-2014, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                      It's actually just over 300 lbs,
                      Not to argue, but it's 400.
                      Use an online calculator like this one,

Concrete Pad Calculator

or this one

Concrete Calculator - How Many Bags of Concrete and more | Cement Calculator | Concrete Estimator | Sakrete

and you get 2.7 cubic feet of concrete for a 4'x4'x2" pad, which requires 9 40lb. bags of concrete, which does not include the water you will add.

Who knows, maybe you guys down under use a different type of concrete?
                      My build:

Comment

Originally posted by ncsmoker View Post
                        Not to argue, but it's 400.
                        Use an online calculator like this one,

Concrete Pad Calculator

or this one

Concrete Calculator - How Many Bags of Concrete and more | Cement Calculator | Concrete Estimator | Sakrete

and you get 2.7 cubic feet of concrete for a 4'x4'x2" pad, which requires 9 40lb. bags of concrete, which does not include the water you will add.

Who knows, maybe you guys down under use a different type of concrete?
                        No, it's just that we work in metric. Density 2300 kgs/m3 volume 72 L (120 x120 x 5 cm)
                        Weight = 165.6 kgs which = 356 lbs ( I was simply doubling the lbs to kgs which is not quite accurate)

In any case a slab like this is too heavy for the application when added to to oven and stand weight.
                        Last edited by david s; 01-19-2014, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                          In any case a slab like this is too heavy for the application when added to to oven and stand weight.
                          Couldn't agree more!
                          My build:

Comment

Working...
                          X