STL_WFO_Pre-production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STL_WFO_Pre-production

Here I go, putting my hat into this wild foray. I've been researching building an outdoor kitchen for quite a while when I stumbled across this awesome resource and community. And after all the pondering and day dreaming, I went to pick up some reclaimed brick this past weekend. That in it self was some work, and they still need to be cleaned and scrubbed (see attached). But there is no turning back now because I will get a demerit from my beautiful home supervisor if they sit in our driveway too long. And with that, I have some initial questions...

I have a spot picked out to place my oven and countertops but it goes into a bit of a grade and would like some feed back on how to tackle this. I would prefer not to have to install an additional retaining wall where my kitchen would go and would prefer to utilize the concrete stands for this purpose. As you can see from my "doghouse" picture, the amount of earth to be retained will be between 20-30".

I have been pouring through other builds and noted that vintagemx0's build had a similar set up in which he used his base as part of the retaining wall. I hope he doesn't mind me linking to his build, but it is pretty phenomenal.

PhotoPlog - Hearth and Stand

Additionally, I would like to utilize a corner layout, as seen in the attached so that people on the patio can see the magic happening.

So, I know there is a lot of info in there and pictures/layouts, but would appreciate some guidance as I get my build going! Cheers!
    Oh, I'm here for the pizza.

Pre-Production Album

Re: STL_WFO_Pre-production

G'day
    Nice block of land, having a slope does present some challenges but I think being on a slope myself its worth it. I would however always be aware of were water flows so you don't build yourself any dams and disrupt the natural flow.
    I have had to fit a drain in the front of my oven stand not for normal rain which I built for but for those once a year rain events that we can get here.
    Watching your build with interest
    Regards Dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

I built my oven on a sloped site, did something similar with the retaining wall
      Click image for larger version

Name:	eb (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	303919Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000247.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	303916Click image for larger version

Name:	hearth and lintel.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	303917Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	151.7 KB
ID:	303918
      Last edited by deejayoh; 04-10-2014, 03:02 PM.
      My build progress
      My WFO Journal on Facebook
      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks to you both, I'm starting go through details of several builds on grades, including DJO's. Any structural objections to utilizing the back wall of the stand as a retaining wall. Any suggestion for the footing?

My Initial thought is to place a French drain to direct water away and through the foundation. The grade doesn't appear tall enough to support the hearth.

Thanks for all input and pics!
        Oh, I'm here for the pizza.

Pre-Production Album

Comment

G'day
          The French drain is a smart idea and I would certainly do it,its you first line of defense. But I would recommend a secound thing as well and that is a secound moisture barrier on the oven slab just under the insulation. I have had my stand flooded once and it took a long time for it, and the oven to dry out.
          Regards dave
          Measure twice
          Cut once
          Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
          My Door
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Working...
          X