Initial build ideas - thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Initial build ideas - thoughts?

I found the assembly instructions for assembling that oven. They say to seal the joints with refractory cement. Do you think it would be useable without sealing them, or is there some easily breakable joint I could use?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to seal it weakly, add insulation and then an outer layer that I could chip off easily enough when the time comes... does this sound doable? I.e. it would be nice to disassemble the whole thing so it can be moved easily.

The instructions say you ideally want to add more thermal mass in the form of chamotte (crushed brick) - which I would do if installing it permanently. So the other option is to install it on a pallet which can be moved later, I just chip off the outer layer, take off insulation and then work back up from there.

I'm thinking though, once the sections are joined, there'll be no moving it off the pallet... not easily anyway?

To be honest, at that price, it's worth a shot and even if it comes to a bad end, I won't have lost that much.

Although, I was looking forward to the project side of things, starting from scratch.

We'll see!
    My oven on a pallet build thread

Comment

If the sections have a lap, you do not need to mortar them, if not, you should, as well as build up on the outside of the joint to prevent burn-through.

Comment

Even with mortaring, it wouldn't be that difficult to take it apart and move it.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Hi folks,

I've decided to go for a slightly larger sized dome. I've based the general size and shape on the Panyol but have increased the opening height a little.

The attached image shows the interior dome dimensions... how do they look?

The dome is elliptical - I know FB domes are parabolic whereas the "Roman" inspired designs here in France tend to be elliptical. I've done a little research here on the forum regarding the shape and I don't see any clear conclusions as to which is better, so in the end, I've gone with what is most pleasing to the eye.

Any thoughts on the general shape, dimensions?

Comment

Your oven opening is massive and could create a problem with oven and heat management. It should be half that width...at least.

I would not consider that done shape to be elliptical at all.
            Last edited by stonecutter; 05-14-2014, 09:25 AM.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Whoops.... Just realized your numbers are probably in metric. There's that peaty imperial system again....
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                Your oven opening is massive and could create a problem with oven and heat management. It should be half that width...at least.

I would not consider that done shape to be elliptical at all.
                They are pretty much the dimensions of the Panyol 66... perhaps they can get away with a larger opening because of the higher quality materials used?

The dome is elliptical and the general form is that which I see in ovens here in France (which seem to be more focussed on bread baking). Although it's not what you consider elliptical, is there any reason it wouldn't work well?

Is the attached more like what you're thinking of?

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                  Whoops.... Just realized your numbers are probably in metric. There's that peaty imperial system again....
                  The imperial system... the single worst thing the British ever did... and I'm Irish so that's saying something :-)

Comment

Hi folks,

I've attached the two alternative designs with dimensions in Inches this time.

The main difference is that design A has a wider and higher opening and a correspondingly higher dome - also, the bottom 4" is vertical and the elliptical curvature starts above this, so you get a slightly less curved dome. This is basically the Panyol 66 with a higher opening (the opening width is still the same as the Panyol 66 but is 65% of the oven diameter nonetheless.

Design B has a narrower and lower opening and the dome curvature starts from the very bottom.

Any thoughts feedback, particularly around the oven opening? I want to get the best balance between usability and heat retention. Are there any guidelines regarding the ratio of oven opening to dome diameter?

Comment

The wider the door the easier the oven is to work, but you lose more heat. This can be compensated for by keeping a fire on the side. A well insulated and sealed door is important for any oven, but more so with one that has a wide door. The height of the door should be approx 63% of the height of the roof internally, give or take an inch or two either way.
                      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                        The wider the door the easier the oven is to work, but you lose more heat. This can be compensated for by keeping a fire on the side. A well insulated and sealed door is important for any oven, but more so with one that has a wide door. The height of the door should be approx 63% of the height of the roof internally, give or take an inch or two either way.
                        Thanks David,

Cobblerdave mentioned here that the Forno ovens have a door opening of a little less than 50% of the internal diameter... I might just go with the design with the smaller opening in that case... as long as I can get a 12" Pizza in easily enough, it should be ok as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

Working...
                        X