Well here goes nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Well here goes nothing

Okay Im freaking out a little. I think I might of found a typo in your instructions. I'm coming up to speed on this after the fact of making my pergola patio. So in hast I made a foundation for a 42" oven Per Foundation spec on page 13, for a 42"oven foundation size 73"x86" Done ready for concrete on Saturday. Here I sit tonight reading up on what my next course of action will be and reading ahead. Fast forward to page 66 Material list for a 42" oven and here I see a 80"x94" foundation???? Well please make a call on this for me??? I got tomorrow night to get it right! Am I good or do I need to strip forms and enlarge my pad?

Comment

Bubb,

a 42" oven has an exterior width of 51" if you are using 9"x4 1/2" bricks. Add 4" of insulation on either side and you are up to 59". If you are building an enclosure, you can use 2 1/2" studs adding another 5", and 1/2" durock on both sides for another 1", so you need a total of 65". I think you could go even smaller if you count the cavity in the stud wall as insulation space.

The depth requirement depends on what you want to do for your vent and oven landing. I think your foundation is big enough, but it could not hurt to draw a sketch to double-check.

Comment

Well if your saying total I need 65" I have 75"
        So I should end with 4" on each side! Then the
        Specs on page 66 need changed I think?!?

Comment

There is a discrepancy both for the 36" and the 42" oven for the foundation size and block base size between page 13 and page 66/67. I think the corner oven installation drawings on page 17/18 are also a bit off for a Pompeii.

I do not know if it is ok to put the block base right up against the edge of the foundation or whether the blocks have to be inset by 4" or more and I have not really read the instructions too closely.

If you can live with a slightly smaller oven in the worst case, just pour the concrete. Otherwise, wait for expert advice...

Comment

Hubert_s I'm going to stay at the size base I have now. I was hoping to get a little more feed back but I understand we are dealing with some huge time laps. At this point I don't have the time to change my foundation size before the pour in the morning. I could if need be when I get the answer I need make a overhang on the top to get it bigger? Ill just pour a 4" thick top and over hang the block base what is needed? But I would like to hear form the site guys what is right in the instructions I down loaded.?? And see there is a change for anybody behind me that doesn't get caught as I did?

Comment

G'day Bub
              Both those sizes will support a 42 in oven. Depends on what you want to do igloo or doghouse inclosure and your thickness and type of insulation as has already been said.
              I'd firm up my plans by block stage so when you pore the slab you'll have time to counterlever a larger one if you plans require .
              If you a visual person like myself get an old refrigerator box and draw out the measurements full size. I even did a profile of the oven at slab stage it really gave me idea of proportion .
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

CobblerDave thank you Sir. That is precisely what
                I will do. Being in the climate we are and getting
                Snow I'd think best to cover my dome. So I'll lay
                It out as you mentioned and do a mock up. I don't
                Have refrigerator box, but I do have my daughters
                Chalks and garage floor?! Really excited, concrete
                Will be here in less 5 hours.

Comment

Bubb,

looks like you have a good plan. I suggest you take your daughter to the craft store when the concrete is done and buy some large paper or poster board to make the mock-up (tape a few pieces together). It's hard to pick up the garage floor to put it on the slab for size comparison...

Comment

Strip forms tomorrow, and go buy block and bags of mortor.
                    Moving right along.

Comment

Very nice, Bubb! Do you plan to acid stain it?

Comment

No the color is mixed into the cement. I'll
                        Power wash the top release off and the bottom
                        Color will show threw. Going for block and
                        Rebar for the stand today. I'll seal the pad
                        Tomorrow and start lay stand this week.

Comment

Laid this up today. Ready to frame for shelf
                          Pour. Trying to deside which way to do the
                          Top? Frame and pour virmiculight then
                          Fire brick right on that. Or pour then the FB then
                          Brick on top of that? Would one way yeild a slightly
                          Thinner top?

Comment

The FB board on top of the reinforced concrete hearth will yield a thinner base if you installed the thermal equivalent of V-crete on a reinforced concrete hearth, ie 2"FB equals plus or minus to 4" Vcrete.
                            Russell
                            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Okay I'll frame the top for 3 1/2" concrete with rebar.
                              Then I'll put the FB board on that. Really excited to
                              Get to dome layout.

Comment

BTW, nice work on the block stand, make sure you put some temp blocking under the middle of durock before you pour, wouldn't want a blow out now. What thickness FB you looking at, should min 2".
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X