Up up and away (dome)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Up up and away (dome)

Made great progress today. Been at it since 5 am.
    Gotta stop here work on my hair brained crazy tool.
    Could on of you guys post a link to the calculator? I
    need to figure courses and angles of cuts. This is a
    42" inside dome.

Re: Up up and away (dome)

Here is the link to deejayoh's calculator.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

My crazy tool. If anybody can help with those angles.
      The arm of my tool is 3 1/2" off cooking floor, and it's
      42" inside dome. Thanks
      Oh when you cut all your bricks the paste in
      The tray of the tile saw. Use that on the cooking
      Floor to lock the tiles? It's tight but ya get
      1/8" gap here or there... Looking at going vertical.
      Last edited by Bubb; 06-15-2014, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Bubb,
        you might want to varnish or paint that block real good before you start. The way the grain is oriented, it will curl and break when it gets repeatedly wet and dry .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf good tip! I'll hit it with spray paint.
          I'm mulling over just using the crazy tool,
          And shims. I think I'd make better time.
          In the end your not going to see all those
          Cuts? Any pros or Cons I'm over looking?
          If I just use halfs I can get quit a few course
          Done tomorow.

Comment

Bubb,
            Does that triangular brick on the top of your arch former represent how you intend to marry the arch and dome together?

Comment

Originally posted by Bubb View Post
              I'm mulling over just using the crazy tool,
              And shims. I think I'd make better time.
              In the end your not going to see all those
              Cuts? Any pros or Cons I'm over looking?
              If I just use halfs I can get quit a few course
              Done tomorow.
              There are plenty of great builds out there in both camps. I don't recall one on either side that have fell in . I did a half ased attempt at making my joints on the inside of the dome fit close. The outside joints were filled in with copious amounts of mortar .

EDIT: Wotavidone, is bringing out a critical point. Please, don't let my post cover that up!
              Last edited by Gulf; 06-15-2014, 03:59 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

No that triangle piece was just a piece I
                Sat there. I'll make a proper arch. Really looking forward
                to tomorrow. I'll get quit a few courses up! Gotta get another 50
                Fire brick in the morning.

Comment

Hey Im having trouble with that calculation file? Its I office and I don't have that? I cant open it?? Can anybody help me with that? I know in upper courses I need to cut the bricks smaller but im going to need something to go by. Any help would be much appreciated.

Comment

Hey Im having trouble with that calculation file? Its I office and I don't have that? I cant open it?? Can anybody help me with that? I know in upper courses I need to cut the bricks smaller but im going to need something to go by. Any help would be much appreciated.
                    Don't have a windows based PC? Even the office 2010 starter demo that came with my PC opens this file. Otherwise you might have to find one of the freebies on the net that will work with Excel files.
                    On the otherhand, don't despair. I'm pretty sure the guys at Pompeii had never heard of spreadsheets and calculators.

The reason I asked about your arch is because you have the dome bricks pushing against the back surface of the arch side bricks in your mock-up.
                    I am not an expert, by any means, but that doesn't quite look right. It looks like you will end up with the arch in front of the dome, instead of in the dome holding up the bricks above the opening.

Have you read this thread? I sure wish I did before I started.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

I've been wading through a few threads looking for a picture that illustrates my concern, but naturally when you want one......
                    I settled for a pic of what we did on my friend's oven. It is a semicircular arch, but it does illustrate my point. The arch needs to back in under the dome if you get my drift. It's so much easier to do than it is to describe

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ne...tml#post167578

Comment

My crazy tool. If anybody can help with those angles.
                      The arm of my tool is 3 1/2" off cooking floor, and it's
                      42" inside dome. Thanks
                      Oh when you cut all your bricks the paste in
                      The tray of the tile saw. Use that on the cooking
                      Floor to lock the tiles? It's tight but ya get
                      1/8" gap here or there... Looking at going vertical.
                      Bubb, the IT does not look quite right in the picture. It seems like the top of the brick is aligned with the rod going to the center. The rod needs to be aligned with the center of the brick otherwise you will have a small offset in the radial direction where two courses meet.

Comment

OpenOffice will open it.

Comment

Bubb,

I can't tell exactly from the pic, take a look at where the center of the rod on the IT hits the "L" shape wood block. The center of the IT rod needs to hit where the center of the brick or the tilt of the brick if off and becomes cumulative on each course then the domes gets off.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Beehiver good call I fixed it. Rod in center of brick .
                            Hubert our lap top doesn't have open office? They
                            Want 10$ month for it???
                            Last edited by Bubb; 06-16-2014, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wotavidone View Post
                              Don't have a windows based PC? Even the office 2010 starter demo that came with my PC opens this file. Otherwise you might have to find one of the freebies on the net that will work with Excel files.
                              On the otherhand, don't despair. I'm pretty sure the guys at Pompeii had never heard of spreadsheets and calculators.

The reason I asked about your arch is because you have the dome bricks pushing against the back surface of the arch side bricks in your mock-up.
                              I am not an expert, by any means, but that doesn't quite look right. It looks like you will end up with the arch in front of the dome, instead of in the dome holding up the bricks above the opening.

Have you read this thread? I sure wish I did before I started.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f2/n...res-15133.html

I've been wading through a few threads looking for a picture that illustrates my concern, but naturally when you want one......
                              I settled for a pic of what we did on my friend's oven. It is a semicircular arch, but it does illustrate my point. The arch needs to back in under the dome if you get my drift. It's so much easier to do than it is to describe

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/ne...tml#post167578
                              I got what your saying about the arch. I'm laying up the
                              Arch as I go to get under it?! Buy I've seen plenty
                              Of builds where they build the arch first and just fill
                              In behind it. Your picture of a full arch is perfect, but I
                              Need shoulders on mine for biggest opening. ( for pigs )

Comment

Working...
                              X