Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ovens List!

Hi mates,

Hundreds of ovens have been built through this site, but they are scattered here and there amongst threads with all the related discussions about their building techniques. These ovens vary in shape, dimensions, insulations, and operating characteristics; like heat up times, retained heat duration, fuel consumption… So far, this site has built up considerable statistical data on wood fired ovens!

IMO, it would be useful if this site includes an Ovens List where every oven builder can feed his oven’s data; like a good picture for the oven, oven dimensions, insulation, building material, and some operation characteristics… This site’s Pizaiolos are the candidates to choose the useful oven-data to provide.

Not only will this list allow for performing some statistical analysis on ovens. It will be an easy and interesting start for those newbies who want to start a build and don’t know what they want. There they can have a look at hundreds of ovens in minutes and get inspired for their projects.
    Last edited by v12spirit; 06-17-2014, 04:05 AM.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Re: Ovens List!

Hi V,

Good idea, but that is a project in itself. Not many would want to do that, its one thing to have notices or updates on topics that you`re interested in and chide in occasionally to give advice or learn something new. On the other hand start the thread and see what comes of it. Its your idea, so take the lead, good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
      Hi V,

Good idea, but that is a project in itself...
      IMHO, implementing this idea requires some code from the developer to add this new feature, then those who want to provide their ovens data will build the list up. Those who don't won't.
      I forgot who said that.

Comment

I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but I'm wondering how all that data will help someone to make a decision. No two conditions, materials, and builders are alike, which means there are variables unique to every build, which are addressed often times, step by step, by step on the forum in the build threads. Seeing what someone did for this or that part of a build won't answer those questions, because a new builder has those previously mentioned variables to deal with. The FB PDF is pretty concise, yet hundreds of questions are asked about each step of the build. So, I'm saying a list like that may not have the complete effect you are thinking it will...that may be why there isn't one yet.
        Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
        John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
          I'm not saying this is a bad idea, but I'm wondering how all that data will help someone to make a decision.
          I don't want to be defending a suggestion. Eventually, it is all a mere suggestion. I agree that the data will hardly help a newbie make a decision, they maybe overwhelming him either. Actually the data will help those who want to make a statistical survey on oven performance w.r.t oven materials/geometry. It is "collecting oven photos in one place" that will "inspire" a newbie. Once he is satisfied with a given design, he can probe further and see the pros and cons of it.
          I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by v12spirit View Post
            I don't want to be defending a suggestion. Eventually, it is all a mere suggestion..
            No need, like I said, I'm not saying it's a bad idea....it just that a list seems redundant. But I guess its like looking at the same thing from a different angle. Maybe someone's perspective would be different using something like that.
            Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
            John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
              Maybe someone's perspective would be different using something like that.
              Yes. Perspective will play a considerable role. You can feel the beauty better when it is beside the "poor" beauty.
              I forgot who said that.

Comment

Hi V,

Start a thread, see what response you get, then maybe the site management may take an interest. A suggestion from you is free, to implement it on the forum using the developer cost money and it might not create interest, remember most of us who love this site have not spent a penny in purchase, buying from the site.

Comment

What you are suggesting is a "Consumer's Report of Forno Bravo Member Ovens on Forno Bravo Commercial Website". What next? Sample ovens that you can drive around the block and kick the bricks?

Forno Bravo sells their ovens complete or in kits and offers DIY instructions for their "best oven design". If you want to differ from their recommendations you are on your own--except for searching members builds and getting advice from kind members.

Personally, I think the forum should be "pay-per-view" with each member ponying up in the beginning a membership fee. If you are always asking questions (like everyone when they start does, you pay for your answers!), when you answer a question, then you are paid for your response. BUT, payment is based on "MEMBERSHIP GRADING", like the gong show! Good answer, good payment.... Same goes for questions... "If the question can be easily answered by searching the data base, and you don't do it--- BIG pay-per-view charge!... Again "MEMBERSHIP GRADING".

That way, the real pros do not have to answer the same question "over and over" and when they do, they line their pockets a little... Maybe redeemable with things from the "Forno Bravo Store" -- but shipped to any location that the member resides!

Now the levels are only based on participation. It is possible for someone to become an Master Builder or better by just asking questions over and over and not contributing anything positive. Argh--I represent that example! ARgh twice!

Comment

I can't say I agree with you Mikku, I think the great thing about this forum is the FREE exchange of information. As soon as money enters the equation the whole thing changes, usually not for the better.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David,

He was being tongue in cheek, a little Minnesota humor.

Comment

Laurentius- don't have to apologize or explain for me!

Usually advice is "as good as" you pay for!
                        A wise man once said "Why buy a cow when the milk is free?"
                        And that comment covers a broad range of topics! Like a good throw rug covers lot of defects on a floor. (Doesn't even have to be "good")!

As far as more lists- the forum is already divided into so many different segments --big effort just to look at what is already there. Stonecutter had it right, its redundant, but that is from my angle of viewing things which is usually skewed--each day in a different direction--so go figure!

P.S. I've been eating rice for so long, don't know what Minnesota spuds taste like anymore!

Comment

That isn't funny either, just stating a fact!

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                            What you are suggesting is a "Consumer's Report of Forno Bravo Member Ovens on Forno Bravo Commercial Website". What next? Sample ovens that you can drive around the block and kick the bricks?
                            Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
                            Hi V,

A suggestion from you is free, to implement it on the forum using the developer cost money and it might not create interest, remember most of us who love this site have not spent a penny in purchase, buying from the site.
                            All the forum members, INCLUDING Forno Bravo moderators and administrators are CONTRIBUTING to this forum AND INSPIRING from it. Hard to tell who is contributing more than the other, and who deserves to be payed money!

Even those who start their apprenticeship asking questions end up building a considerable experience and inspiring new ideas that evolve from them asking those who are experts, and seeing the details of those experts builds. They eventually end up sharing their experiences with members again, and becoming good contributors to the forum in a feedback like process, and that is the point of the forum IMHO; to share every single experience and make it common amongst ALL members INCLUDING the site owners as well. Without every thing for free, this huge knowledge base on the forum could hardly be built up over the years.

Regarding the so called "Oven list", it is just a suggestion to a feature that serves the very same purpose of the forum, and provides inspiration for the newbies, and statistical data for professionals. Just a suggestion. Experience has taught me never to underestimate any idea, and to share it with people who may be improving it and turning it into something beneficent, and that's what we are all gaining from the forum. The more minds working on an idea, the more refined this idea will be.
                            I forgot who said that.

Comment

Originally posted by mikku View Post
                              Laurentius

As far as more lists- the forum is already divided into so many different segments --big effort just to look at what is already there. Stonecutter had it right, its redundant,
                              The list may reduce the effort for an uneducated newbie by seeing hundreds of designs put together in a very one place. It may be redundant but not in a boring manner. It is redundant in a helping manner.
                              I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
                              X