Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oven orientation

Ok lets try this again.

I'm designing an "L" shaped outdoor kitchen with a brick oven in the corner. If I place it in my yard where I want, the oven opening will be facing directly into the prevailing wind. Is this OK or should I rotate the kitchen so that the opening perpendicular to the prevailing winds?

The winds in the afternoon can get pretty gusty around here so this is something I really need to address as I lay this thin out in my back yard.

Thanks

Re: Oven orientation

In my opinion, it is better to have the prevailing winds pointed directly into your oven opening. Since you oven chamber is closed and only one entrance, the wind will only serve to stagnate the flow. This is a more stable condition. Orienting the opening so that it is perpendicular, the flow in and around your opening will be much more unsteady causing the pressure in and around the chamber opening to fluctuate. This pressure instability will create more "flow" inside the chamber. Even worse, would be orienting the oven downwind, causing even more sever pressure fluctuations. Just my opinion.

Comment

Orienting the opening so that it is perpendicular, the flow in and around your opening will be much more unsteady causing the pressure in and around the chamber opening to fluctuate.
      This happens with my perpendicular oven, but only on start-up. The annoying part is smoke out the front and in my face. Once the fire starts producing heat, the wind becomes a non factor.

Comment

I would orient the oven to what works the best with with your od kitchen's floor plan. You can work on the wind problem with fences, plants, and maybe a fire door later. But, what works best for me, is preheating the flu/chimney before starting a fire in the oven .
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Working...
        X