chimney position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chimney position

If I decide to build a barrel type brick oven can I have the chimney at the back and the door at the front. Is there any way you can have a seperate fire box design. Thanks David

Re: chimney position

One of the key differences between fireboxes and ovens is the chimney position. Ovens have the chimney outside and in front of the door, while fireboxes have the chimney inside at the back against the door. The reason for this is that you want to trap as much heat in the oven chamber as possible, while you want heat to be dissipated from fireboxes through the chimney and the chamber to the whole ambient. So the answer is no, you can't do that with an oven or you will be building a firebox.
    Last edited by v12spirit; 08-19-2014, 10:07 AM.
    Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?
    I forgot who said that.

Comment

You can re-route a frontal chimney over the back of the oven several ways: (1) segmented flue or (2) extended brick vent mortared to the top of the oven and then up via flue at the rear.

Either option requires the vent/flue to be properly enclosed and insulated. Also, there are varying state laws re: maximum segmented flue angles.

Google Forno Bravo Squirrel Tail for examples of this type of flue.

Comment

I may have misunderstood goddyfam. If you want to "squirrel-Tail" the flue, it is better to use technique (1) for a barrel vault. Squirrel tail flu will have a hesitant airflow at start up. To enhance air flow use two 45 angles, a wider flu, and increase the vertical segment. Technique (2) is more suitable for Pompeii ovens.

I may have misunderstood the firebox too. Are you planning to build a white oven?
        I forgot who said that.

Comment

Would like to do a white oven but not too sure if I know how and up to the task. I would prefer a barrel to the dome shaped one as the masonary aspect would be easier I imagine.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by goddyfam View Post
            Would like to do a white oven but not too sure if I know how and up to the task. I would prefer a barrel to the dome shaped one as the masonary aspect would be easier I imagine.

Thanks
            See this white oven.
            I forgot who said that.

Comment

Working...
            X