Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New build

Hi all,
    Great place, great people. I'm glad I found this forum.
    I'm starting to work on the design of my oven.
    I have spent the last few days reading and trying to absorb all the info I could.
    Thanks to all of you who give all this info and document your builds with such dedication.
    Please take a look at this cross section. Am I on the right track? I place 3" of Insulation board under the cooking floor because I have access to 1 1/2" boards.
    Thanks in advance.

Re: New build

Hi Cuzzi23

3" of insulation board sounds good. 2" would be minimum but extra is better in my opinion. Looks like the one dimension on your left side by the soldier brick is in the wrong spot. I am guessing the floor thickness is meant to be 2 1/2" thick? I also note that you are using an offset pivot point so your dome is somewhat flattened on top.
    Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
    40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Looks good...

Im impressed that you only took a "couple of days" researching and absorbing info. I took about 6 months.

Comment

Thanks Tonyp. yeah, I'm not happy with the drawing neither. I'm redoing it. Just trying to find some time between job, house and kids. I'm playing with an elliptical shape, 20" high and 21" radius. Will redraw and re-post.
        Jeeppiper, I wish. That was just a figure of speech. It's been more than a couple of days, but being obsessive has its benefits, ha!
        This past weekend I dug for the foundation, I can not work on it this weekend, but I'm I'm hoping to pour the concrete next Saturday.

Comment

Here are the shapes I was thinking.
          I like the elliptical one.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi Cuzzi23

Curious as to why you are considering the elliptical? It does look nice but more of a challenge to make. Most builders don't use the soldier course any longer, but I think it's just a matter of personal preference. For me it was just easier to lay all the courses flat and keep the first two rows vertical to give a little more head room down towards the bottom of the oven, so more like shape 1.

Tony
            Last edited by Tonyp; 10-16-2014, 08:01 PM.
            Tony

Link to my oven build thread:
            40 inch indoor pompeii in NNY

Comment

Hi Tony,
              Just playing with ideas. Read some place that ellipse was the strongest shape ( is it?). But you're right, is more difficult to build. I put the three shapes together just to compare. Do you think there will be a significant performance difference between the shapes?
              Attached Files

Comment

Same files.
                Just cleaned them up a bit.
                The difference between using straight bricks at bottom does not seem much.
                Attached Files

Comment

Performance-wise, I don't think you will see ANY difference between the various shapes. And as far as fabrication difficulty....same holds true.

My advice: "trust in what thy gut tell-eth you". This way, you are less likely to look back and say "I knew I should have gone with "Shape X"

Comment

Thanks jeeppiper,
                    I am not even close to building the dome yet, so I'm going to keep my options open a bit longer.

Comment

Working...
                    X