Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melbourne Newbie Build - Questions

Hi All,

I am about to undertake the journey that is building the stand and hearth for a pizza oven. I've been looking at every website I can get my hands on in relation to stand design and will be looking to adhere to the instructions provided on this website as close as possible.

I am going with a 1.6m x 2m concrete pad (reinforced) and if I use the 400x200x200 Besser Block Bricks (and a few half bricks) I should be able to build it without too many cuts.

The questions I have for fellow Melbourne-ites are (I am based in Gisborne):
    • Where are some good places to get the Besser Block Bricks?
    • Is there any Gotch'as I should consider?
    • What size base did you lay before starting?

I am still not quite getting how to lay the hearth. I was thinking of laying steel lintels across the stand lengthways then using Cement sheet to provide a base. Form there I'd form up the stand and lay more Reo and pour cement in. Is that a good way to go?

I am going with a 1.6m x 2m concrete pad (reinforced) and if I use the 400x200x200 Besser Block Bricks (and a few half bricks) I should be able to build it without too many cuts.

The pizza oven will be an Amalfi DIY one (the pad dimensions I've provided are based off the sizes on the site).

Is there anything else I need to consider? Somewhat nervous and excited at the same time as its been a long time coming and Christmas is just around the corner

Re: Melbourne Newbie Build - Questions

Hola mate,

I think you're pretty right regarding the hearth. Build up the besser block walls, use steel lintels to bridge the gap and span with more besser blocks. Cover the brickwork center with cement sheeting and support underneath with some temporary pine. Create a form around the top with pine to contain the concrete while it set. Place rebar over the cement sheeting and in every other besser block hole. Pour your concrete slab. Once cured remove the pine under the slab and around the top.

The main gotch'as I can think of for this stage is to make sure your foundation / hearth is big enough, and to perhaps consider spraying some easy release concrete spray on your wood form so the concrete doesn't stick. When judging the size of the foundation take into account the wall thickness plus insulation, cladding and any excess space you want around the oven. Take a look at the following plan.
    Building plans for a 42 inch igloo brick pizza oven - PinkBird

You should be able to get the besser blocks anywhere including bunnings. If you're after other materials there's some Vic links here.
    Sourcing materials for building a wood fired pizza oven in Australia - PinkBird
    Some articles I've been working on: How to build a pizza oven

Comment

Working...
    X